CARAN d'ACHE Caribbean Seas

Inka

Yesterday I'd tried CARAN d'ACHE ink for the first time, the "Storm" or violet color that comes in the crystal inkwell/bottle.

While I was researching samples and cost, thinking about getting the Storm for myself, my wife had seen a color sample of the Caribbean Seas I had up on my monitor and liked what she saw.

Since I was already getting the Storm for myself, it made sense to add the Caribbean Seas to the order and get them both at the same time, the Storm for me and the Caribbean-Seas for her.

After writing with Storm most of yesterday and part of today, I went ahead and cleaned out my M800 and filled it with the Caribbean Seas turquoise to give it a road-test.

Having not long ago been gifted a NOS bottle of Pelikan 4001 Turquoise, another I really love using, I was wondering if all I was getting was a reflection turquoise color in a nice crystal inkwell.

To my liking, while they are both turquoise colors they are also most definitely different, although they both behave almost the same when used in the same M800 pen/nib they don't look identical.

The Pelikan Turquoise is a more vibrant Arizona Blue Turquoise in color while the Caribbean Seas is more a Peruvian Blue-Green Turquoise, bot having similarly nice shading yet both having their own unique color.

On to the hand-written portion of this review:

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Caran-dAche-Caribbean-Seas.jpg

For a side-by-side comparison of this blue-green turquoise as compared with my Pelikan Turquoise that's more a pure, vivid "blue" turquoise that lacks the greens, that review is here.

For anyone interested, or those that haven't already seen it, here's the Link to my Storm review done yesterday.

No more inks for awhile, unless I do some more ink-swapping, so this is likely to be my last ink review for some time, at least until I can afford to buy more ink.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• mucephei

• thoddomas

• PJohnP

Scott :

Good review !

Yes, this ink looks like it tends much more to the green side of the turquoise colour spectrum. There is actually a fair amount of turquoise that comes in this colour from Arizona, but the blue tint is often more what's expected.

It also looks like this ink has good flow characteristics, something pretty critical for me with my work. A colour I love that doesn't flow well just doesn't get used.

How's the water resistance of this ink ?

John P.

How's the water resistance of this ink ?

John P.

I had actually done a wash-test of Caribbean Seas and inadvertently left it out of this review.

Under cold running tap water, until the paper became saturated all the way through, @ 90% of the ink washed out of inkjet paper.

There's just barely enough left behind that I can just barely read what is written on the paper.

Since a running water flush & soak nearly wiped out any traces, I didn't bother with the bleach-swab test which is why that area remains the same.

I'm certain bleach would remove it entirely.

Here's a scan I just did of my wash-test sample.

You can see that it's nearly been obliterated by just running water until the paper became saturated.

The result is very similar to what happened when I ran the same test on Pelikan 4001 Turquoise...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Caribbean-Seas-WashTest.jpg

I think I recall seeing at least one turquoise ink that is waterproof, perhaps it was Noodler's, just don't recall at the moment.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Great review. I really enjoy the nice shading, especially on the Caribbean color. Reminds me of the waters when it shades well. I would say the Noodler's Navajoe Turquoise is a bit more on the blue side. I will be doing my review soon.

Nice review! This is such a pretty ink, but I have only used one pens worth. It looks so nice in that square bottle that I hate to use it and loose the effect. Crazy huh?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Great review.

I really enjoy the nice shading, especially on the Caribbean color.

Reminds me of the waters when it shades well.

I would say the Noodler's Navajo Turquoise is a bit more on the blue side. I will be doing my review soon.

Thanks, as both you and golspot.com helped make it possible for me to get this beautiful Caran D'ache Caribbean Sea, along with the "Storm" Violet that continues to grow on me with each use.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing your new review of the Noodler's Navajo Turquoise soon.

I'm wondering if the Noodler's Turquoise "Eel" version is waterproof?

I've seen a few wash-test reviews of the Noodler's Navajo Turquoise and unfortunately it's not looking waterproof at all [most turquoise inks are far from even water-resistant], but still looks like a great color.

:notworthy1:

Nice review! This is such a pretty ink, but I have only used one pens worth. It looks so nice in that square bottle that I hate to use it and loose the effect. Crazy huh?

Thank you.

I fully understand what you'd meant by "It looks so nice in that square bottle that I hate to use it and loose the effect." as I too felt the same way. Wish I had more I could leave unopened/unused.

That's not crazy at all, at least not to me!

If financial things change for us here, or if I hit the Lottery [barely play, just every now and then] I'd like to get every bottle in the "Colours of the Earth" series and keep them unopened.

Of course I'd have to also get a few of my favorites along with the unopened collection, to open and use too.

:thumbup:

Getting late; typing errors corrected.

Oops, past my bed-time; so sorry!

Edited by Inka

• 11 years later...

It has been some 8-10 years since I sampled this ink; small bottles.

I put it in an Osmia 68 ('50 and before post war pen) BBL (Oblique left foot, or OBB).

The bottle sat too long doing nothing, came out green, put the load back into the bottle and shook it....came out a nice lively turquoise.

On Oxford Optic 90g, Shades less than hoped for....but that could well be in it is a wide wet nib.. That is always a problem with shading inks and a semi-flex nib.

Printing shows more shading.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.