Reaction at the Office

Sparky

Patients often comment on my pens, usually appreciatively. For me, a fountain pen is a real eccentricity, as I generally have to switch to a ballpoint during appointments to fill out triplicate forms. But I absolutely hate writing with a "drug pen"; I've been thinking of getting a desk set with a rollerball so I can switch easily...

Also, when I'm excited about a new pen, I often show it to the office staff and the nurses, who are gracious enough to pretend to be interested. :blush: :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HesNot

• RyanL27

• Rich

• Sparky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a university student, and I've found that I get the most attention with a Parker 51, though I also have received positive compliments from people noticing a Parker Reflex of all things. Of course, the 51's disproportionate amount of attention relative to an Esterbrook or such might be a function of it being my usual pen in the pocket for school.

I think many people misconstrue it as something elitist when, really, it has nothing to do with image - as far as I'm concerned.

Ditto. There is actually a danger of creating some kind of resentment among people who think I'm being snotty. So I usually leave the diamond encrusted pimp pens at home (smiley face guy goes here).

Doug

I take a pair of Kaweco Sport "metallic" fountain pens out of the house. They are about as un-fancy as you can get. I also don't post them, so they just appear as tiny pens to anyone who bothers to look, not terribly noticeable. I've been told "I like your pen," a few times. I've been asked what kind of a pen that is too. Some will tell me that it's not a real fountain pen because it doesn't have a lever. Some recall using such pens deep in their youth. Overwhelmingly, no one cares.

I do not allow anyone to "try it," however. I try to refuse such requests in a manner that will be perceived by the refusee as kindly. I may not always succeed.

post-4-1147775566_thumb.jpg

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

My immediate staff do not understand my "dare I say" obsession with fountain pens. In meeting most people do not pay attention, until they ask to borrow a pen. Then they get this frustrated look because I don't just hand them the pen I am using. I used to carry two with me, to a meeting. Now I only take one and have a ballpoint in my portfolio for lending

My immediate staff do not understand my "dare I say" obsession with fountain pens. In meeting most people do not pay attention, until they ask to borrow a pen. Then they get this frustrated look because I don't just hand them the pen I am using. I used to carry two with me, to a meeting. Now I only take one and have a ballpoint in my portfolio for lending

Working in computer/telecoms I am most often the 'Elder Statesman' therefore my using a fountain pen does not surprise my younger colleagues. But then again I still wear a shirt and tie, most often with a suit, which these days always makes you stand out.

The only time people comment is on high days and holidays when I use my Rolled Gold 61 that I have had for about 20 years. I think it is the fact that using something gold stands out rather than the fact of it being a fountain pen. Those that do notice seem to think it is a rollerball, must be my preference for hooded nibs I guess.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

None of my current collection is particularly flashy. I don't have any really large pens, nothing with overlays or a lot of metal, nothing that has a really noticeable celluloid, and I don't use a Mont Blanc which would be recognizable. Consequently I don't stand out as much as I would if I pulled out a Churchill in flecked autumn or nebula, or a MB 149.

Additionally, I work for a big 4 accounting/consulting firm and the majority of my co-workers use the uni-ball rollerballs from the office supply closet, and a significant contingency of the CPAs still use not only a pencil, but an old school pencil that you have to sharpen (when I use one I almost always use a MP) and frequently ones in blue/red/green. This despite the age of computer accounting preparation, I suppose this is a holdover from some of the old partners who still like to see edits on returns color coded.

I do tax consulting so I rarely touch a return (and as a tax lawyer I'm not the go to guy for that work anyway) and those who notice my pen tend to view it as a by product of my training and a professional eccentricity. I most often have my "51" flighter in meetings so people notice it isn't a disposable pen but that's about the extent of it.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I always get OOHS and AAHS over the fountain pens I use in my office... Really makes me feel fantastic....

OF COURSE, I work from home and the comments are from my 7 yr old daughter... but I'll take them everyday and twice on Sunday and smile all the way...

:bunny1: :ltcapd: :bunny1: :ltcapd: :bunny1:

People don't notice my Vanishing Point at work, but they are usually confused and dismayed if they ask to borrow a pen and I hand them a Javelin or Reflex. Most of the younger folks try writing with the nib upside down, and they also get ink on their fingers :doh: People my age and up usually give me a "yuck" sort of reaction when they realize what I've handed them to write with <_<

My wife and I were being taken to lunch one day by her father, and the waitress' ballpoint wouldn't work for him to sign the chit. I handed him my Pelikan M215, and got an "Ah, a REAL pen" reaction from him. It turns out that he much prefers writing with fountain pens, but he'd given up trying to find ink in the local stores. I cleaned up his No-Nonsense pens for him and set him up with a couple of packs of Skrip cartridges :) For Christmas, I slipped a Javelin into his pile of gifts, too :)

Bill

My experience at work has been negative enough that I rarely bring a pen to a meeting unless I know the people well. The usual response is annoyance when they want to borrow my pen (I'm not often in a position to say no) and have no idea how it works or to give me a look of confusion. Even if I am writing with it, I'll catch sideways glances that are less than approving, why, I don't know, though I assume it has to do with the elitist stereotype. I can be guaranteed an odd look if I use any color other than a very standard blue. I've also found that people don't enjoy getting ink on their hands (silly them).

Once I went to an older colleague to discuss an assignment and saw bottles of ink and pens littering his desk. Finally, I thought, I might have a sympathetic ear. After we had finished discussing (or rather, I listening) I thought I might make a friend and mentioned that I had just received my first fountain pen about a month ago. His response, "I've been using them longer." At which point he walked out of his office signifying that our meeting was over. I wanted to yell back "that's because you're older than dirt!", but I was sure that wouldn't help my career aspirations. By the way, he only owned Montblanc pens, not that that means anything.

I did once work with a colleague who appreciated fountain pens and was excited that I liked them, until I mentioned that I used J. Herbin inks at which point I was informed that she did not buy anything French and our discussion of pens abruptly died. I quickly put down my french fries and ordered apple pie lest I be fired on the spot.

Now I tend to keep my hobby to myself and always carry a ballpoint so that I can pick my instrument based on my audience. I guess I'm just too junior to have the freedom to be eccentric yet . . .

Rich - Why to I have the sneaking suspicion I know what you do and where you work? Or at least have it narrowed down to two potential careers! If I'm right don't worry, it will get better or you can go do something else ;)

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

My experience at work has been negative enough that I rarely bring a pen to a meeting unless I know the people well. The usual response is annoyance when they want to borrow my pen (I'm not often in a position to say no) and have no idea how it works or to give me a look of confusion. Even if I am writing with it, I'll catch sideways glances that are less than approving, why, I don't know, though I assume it has to do with the elitist stereotype. I can be guaranteed an odd look if I use any color other than a very standard blue. I've also found that people don't enjoy getting ink on their hands (silly them).

Once I went to an older colleague to discuss an assignment and saw bottles of ink and pens littering his desk. Finally, I thought, I might have a sympathetic ear. After we had finished discussing (or rather, I listening) I thought I might make a friend and mentioned that I had just received my first fountain pen about a month ago. His response, "I've been using them longer." At which point he walked out of his office signifying that our meeting was over. I wanted to yell back "that's because you're older than dirt!", but I was sure that wouldn't help my career aspirations. By the way, he only owned Montblanc pens, not that that means anything.

I did once work with a colleague who appreciated fountain pens and was excited that I liked them, until I mentioned that I used J. Herbin inks at which point I was informed that she did not buy anything French and our discussion of pens abruptly died. I quickly put down my french fries and ordered apple pie lest I be fired on the spot.

Now I tend to keep my hobby to myself and always carry a ballpoint so that I can pick my instrument based on my audience. I guess I'm just too junior to have the freedom to be eccentric yet . . .

:blink: Wow. YOur days are filled with fun and laughter :blink: How can you stand it?

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

Edited to try to get my :bonk: to work :blush: :blush:

My career prospects are not helped or hindered by using fountain pens. Good old fashioned politics and game playing rules the roost where I work.

I have only had a few people comment in several years. One gave a few choice derogatory names, another older colleague was amazed to see a fountain pen and we talked about days now long gone. More people notice that I write with bright coloured inks, most think its a bit silly.

I keep a ballpoint on me for those unenlightened souls who will not use anything else. :bonk:

I refuse to stop using fountain pens, to the point of upsetting the heirarchy. Have Noodlers Eternals on order and will revisit some previous 'writing instrument discussions' then - once I know my inks will survive pretty much anything :D :D :

Edited by Bigfella

My experience at work has been negative enough that I rarely bring a pen to a meeting unless I know the people well.  The usual response is annoyance when they want to borrow my pen (I'm not often in a position to say no) and have no idea how it works or to give me a look of confusion.  Even if I am writing with it, I'll catch sideways glances that are less than approving, why, I don't know, though I assume it has to do with the elitist stereotype.  I can be guaranteed an odd look if I use any color other than a very standard blue.  I've also found that people don't enjoy getting ink on their hands (silly them).

Once I went to an older colleague to discuss an assignment and saw bottles of ink and pens littering his desk.  Finally, I thought, I might have a sympathetic ear.  After we had finished discussing (or rather, I listening) I thought I might make a friend and mentioned that I had just received my first fountain pen about a month ago.  His response, "I've been using them longer."  At which point he walked out of his office signifying that our meeting was over.  I wanted to yell back "that's because you're older than dirt!", but I was sure that wouldn't help my career aspirations.  By the way, he only owned Montblanc pens, not that that means anything.

I did once work with a colleague who appreciated fountain pens and was excited that I liked them, until I mentioned that I used J. Herbin inks at which point I was informed that she did not buy anything French and our discussion of pens abruptly died.  I quickly put down my french fries and ordered apple pie lest I be fired on the spot.

Now I tend to keep my hobby to myself and always carry a ballpoint so that I can pick my instrument based on my audience.  I guess I'm just too junior to have the freedom to be eccentric yet . . .

:blink: Wow. YOur days are filled with fun and laughter :blink: How can you stand it?

Yes, it sounds like you should look for other work, Rich!

Possibly you work for a large law firm. I once asked a friend of mine why he would want to work all those hours at work that was not always stimulating. He replied: "Because of the money!" It's not a career I could do, however.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

As a fellow attorney my guess was a large NY firm and/or investment bank, but more likely a firm. I left private practice a little over a year ago and am quite happy with the change. Although my old firm, which was a starchy tax firm, was quite supportive of my eccentricities since the president of the firm used either a Waterman Opera or a black and pearl duofold daily and, unlike your partner, was quite interested in talking about pens and ink.

HesNot & RonB,

Wow, is it that transparent?! Yup, associate (emphasis on associate) of a large firm here in NYC. I guess it's not one of the most touchy-feely environments to work in; I haven't gotten a hug in ages! But, this is why I have my pens, they amuse me when other things don't. I'm glad your experience was different HesNot, I hope that mine will change with time.

Chupie,

Why would I work here? Ron's friend answered both honestly and accurately, except that the work we do is often stimulating, but a little too stimulating at 2am, or 3am, or . . . . I may also be a glutton for punishment, I don't like to admit it, but the busiest times are often the most exciting (note, I did not say fun).

At this point, most of the people I started working with have left or are on their way out, so there are a lot of opportunities when the time comes, its just not my time yet. We don't have kids now, but I imagine that event will provide an opportunity to reflect and decide what is best.

Best,

Rich

I would fall into the "fountain pen use seen as an eccentricity" category at my newspaper. I'm the only person in the newsroom that uses them. Then again, I'm the only person in the newsroom that wears a shirt and tie every weekday.

In an age of Bics and casual office dress, I suppose wearing a tie and carrying a 60-year-old fountain pen makes you an eccentric. Then again, newspapering is still a relatively safe field for misfits and eccentrics to get into.

Edited by randyholhut

Rich - there is nothing wrong with punching your ticket, so to speak. I have 2 kids and was a junior partner. I had to make a decision before buying in whether it was the place I wanted to stay for the rest of my career and in the interest of work life balance I left. My current workplace, a big 4 accounting/consulting firm, is no less intellectually challenging, and at times equally as taxing (no pun intended!), but without question the hours per person metrics area lot more humane - there are more ebbs and flows to the work so there are some slow times to make up for the very busy ones.

Anyway - I have a couple friends who are still in the grind and a number who have left. Generally the correlation is to those who do and do not have kids.

But when you're in your office doing work I encourage you to use a fountain pen at every opportunity!

I work at a software company, and my boss has (good-naturedly) teased me about the fact that I'm one of the most wired people out there (have a PocketPC with GPRS cellular Internet, a video iPod, two laptops, etc.), but that when I want to write anything down I whip out a Clairefontaine notebook and a fountain pen.

However, I'm also a writer in my spare time. And local fellow writers? We'll sit down and swap pens, let each other try writing with each other's favorites. I've made several converts to Clairefontaine papers as a result, as well as had at least one person offer to buy my Parker Inflection off me. (No way! I've sold or given away my other two red Inflections, but the blue Inflection's my favorite pen, despite being 'low end.')