Reaction at the Office

Sparky

Thought I'd try to get a feel as to how co-workers or others react when you are in meetings using a fountain pen. Since some of the pens are extremely distinctive do you often notice "pen envy".... do they act annoyed.... do they ....etc?

Also has anyone had a particularly good or bad reaction at work they would like to share?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HesNot

• RyanL27

• Rich

• Sparky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an interesting question as I've found a lot of people to just not understand my obsession with, or even use of, fountain pens. I think many people misconstrue it as something elitist when, really, it has nothing to do with image - as far as I'm concerned

Fortunately, I go to a very...well..quirky (eccentric?) liberal arts college, so people aren't taken aback by much here.

My one funny interaction was with my academic advisor, a philosophy professor, who said that my hobby of fixing vintage pens was a combination of my "industrial, blue-collar upbringing and my new, bourgeois lifestyle in academia." I told her I just rather like shiny things :)

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

that is interesting. I would not over analyze her comments.... sounds like she potentially has some issues.

My patients look intently as I fill the clinical notes on their chart with one of my fp's.

One of them said once: "That is not a MontBlanc?!"

Another asked what type of pen I was using.

Kids usually want to look at it.

Today one complimented me on my handwriting!

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

My one funny interaction was with my academic advisor, a philosophy professor, who said that my hobby of fixing vintage pens was a combination of my "industrial, blue-collar upbringing and my new, bourgeois lifestyle in academia."  I told her I just rather like shiny things :)

Wow, what an interesting observation by your professor, Ryan!

Sparky, the few people who have noticed my pens - clients and colleagues - would automatically ask "is that a Montblanc"? Sadly ;) , I don't own any (yet).

raf.

Edited by grasshopper

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

BTW: I also like shiny things!

LOL! That was the perfect answer.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

that is interesting. I would not over analyze her comments.... sounds like she potentially has some issues.

Ha! I need to be careful there as she researches/writes/teaches on "psychoanalyses and the subject."

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

I had an associate ask me if that was a real fountain pen.

Edited by kpfeifle
Kevin

Well in my math courses, when people notice my pen I get one of two reactions:

1. "You use a pen for math?"

2. "Oh Prof. McKean uses a fountain pen too. I can never read any of his handouts b/c of his fountain pen."

Re: 1. Yes, I use a fountain pen for all my math related writings. I just don't like pencil for some reason and with good paper the fountain pen works well for me.

Re: 2. I want to tell them it has to do with the handwriting not the pen...but Prof. McKean is just too famous and I don't want the word to spread to him that I think he has bad handwriting :P

that is interesting.  I would not over analyze her comments.... sounds like she potentially has some issues.

Ha! I need to be careful there as she researches/writes/teaches on "psychoanalyses and the subject."

Glad you didn't respond with something somewhat Freudian... :o

A while back someone asked a similar question. I normally don't use fountain pens when I know it'll be a distraction. Our meeting times are precious (and can be expensive), so I try to keep to the subject at hand. I normally save my eccentricities ( :P ) for people I know or gradually break 'em in.

My best

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

My experience has been that nobody (except me) pays any attention at all to what writing instruments others are using in meetings.

--Laura

Many of my staff with an average age of 35 had never seen or used a fountain pen when I showed up in 1999. I would say converts are rare, 3 or 4, but at least the staff knows that there is a precursor to BIC.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” Mark Twain

Everyone at work are used to seeing me write with fountain pens. They think I'm an anachronism anyway, but that's okay. ;)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

My experience has been that nobody (except me) pays any attention at all to what writing instruments others are using in meetings.

--Laura

Exactly! Maybe once a year someone will notice I am writing with a fountain pen. Once every 5 years someone says: "Is that a Parker 51?"

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

I daren't say how people have reacted to my fountain pens lest I be perceived as making fun of them.

actually - i don't work in an office. I'm a stay-at-home-nothing.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

--Laura

Exactly! Maybe once a year someone will notice I am writing with a fountain pen. Once every 5 years someone says: "Is that a Parker 51?"

Ron

I'd say my pens get noticed on average maybe once every couple of years. That's fine with me -- I use 'em because I like 'em -- but I do enjoy the rare appreciative or inquiring comment, when it comes along, or (even rarer) the occasional show-and-tell with a fellow FP user. :D

I once had a file with no name on it get back to me because someone in the office recognized my ink. :o I still smile whenever I think of that...

Viseguy

Today one complimented me on my handwriting!

Wow! A doctor who's handwriting you can read.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

I normally don't use fountain pens when I know it'll be a distraction. Our meeting times are precious (and can be expensive), so I try to keep to the subject at hand. I normally save my eccentricities ( :P ) for people I know or gradually break 'em in.

That is what the chairman is for. Every meeting is supposed to have a chair.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

Wow! A doctor who's handwriting you can read.

Many years ago, I wrote a request form for a pathology test or X-ray, but the form was rejected and returned to my receptionist. The culprit reasoned that the signature was a forgery, because the signature was legible. :)

My receptionist then pointed out that the signature was genuine, despite being legible. :)

Hmm... the core has the ability to make people's eyes pop out :D

Once someone showed unnatural interest in my Core. She tried writing on her hand before I stopped her :o she didn't notice my wearever <_< .

:rolleyes:

People think of me as the person who has the "cool" pens.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie