How many here use Rocker Blotters - or have them on the desk?

horolographer

I have one that I bought on fleabay back in `07 that is made of yellow catalin. I think

I paid around $50 for it;bought it from someone in Brandon(just east of Tampa). It's

stored away from sunlight because the catalin material from long ago never had any

UV inhibitors in it. I'll have to produce a pic of it later.

Just to give you an idea,however--think of the color of egg drop soup...........

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Durham K

• Rena

• horolographer

• BookCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a wet, medium/broad nib on my Parker Duofold Centennial as my signature pen, and with PR Lake Placid Blue as my signature ink it does take a bit to dry. Since I sign a lot of documents on a daily basis, I'd always wanted a rocker blotter, and one day in Februrary, I found one

cunningly disguised as a little wooden box. My sumgai of the year, during the first month no less, and one I use almost every single day. Happy Andy! :bunny01::D

post-26259-1233614284.jpg

post-26259-1233614315.jpg

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Andy, I remember when you made that sumgai purchase — great find! (And what a cool, round, stone box in the background of your photo.)

JBB, LOVE that terra cotta color on yours, and really cool design. Do you know what it's made out of? Bakelite?

Thumbs up for those small J. Herbin rockers — especially handy for blotting signatures.

Andy, I remember when you made that sumgai purchase — great find! (And what a cool, round, stone box in the background of your photo.)

JBB, LOVE that terra cotta color on yours, and really cool design. Do you know what it's made out of? Bakelite?

Thumbs up for those small J. Herbin rockers — especially handy for blotting signatures.

I also remember how fun it was when Andy found that marvelous rocker blotter. Mine is made of brass and has a JB (Jenning Brothers ?) marking on it. Rena, your rocking blotters are just magnificent.

I love to browse old desk items on ebay. :cloud9:

I'm a big fan of vintage and modern desk furniture too jbb and rena! My desk, worktable, credenzas, and drawing table at the office are testaments to this. :blush:

I do think that in the modern age of fast-drying inks the joys of blotting one's signature or journal entry have been somewhat lost - but on the other hand I don't want everyone on FPN bidding against me on the dreaded and other auction venues! ;)

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

• 3 weeks later...

It loads rather like a quarter sheet orbital sander -- you should be able to get the blotter paper already cut to the correct size; you'll fold over a little on each end of the sheet, slip one end into place, smooth the paper onto the rocker, and then push the other fold into position.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Here is one I made over 20 years ago out of Cherry. I have used it most of that time, on one desk or another.

Fixedgearhead

I use the cheap J. Herbin model at work and at home I have a cute little black elephant rocker blotter that my mom gave me for Christmas. I think she got it at Pendemonium.

I also use a couple of blotter cards that I got from Richard Binder (the ones with the old ads on them) in my planner. It makes things easier when entering appointments, and is a great bookmark.

Cheers!

Bluenotegrl

Inky fingers are a sign of genius!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Check me out at bluenotegrl.blogspot.com

They're all beautiful. I would love to try and make one. Is there a recommended or standard radius?

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I have one on my desk that is large and part of a marble desk set. When I first took it apart to change paper the original German store sticker was on the paper. Have used it a few times because the paper I was writing on didn't take ink well.

They're all beautiful. I would love to try and make one. Is there a recommended or standard radius?

I've seen blotters in different sizes, but I'd be tempted to make them of a size to fit the advertising blotters Richard Binder gives/sells, or else a quarter sheet of full size blotter paper if you have a supply of that.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Wow; some of these are absolutely gorgeous. Mine is pretty boring by comparison. And unused so far, as well, as I haven't yet managed to figure out how to get the paper in it.

People have been giving you good advice, but possibly a photo will help. Here is one of my rockers taken apart — three pieces, as you can see. The knobs on both of mine are entirely wood, including the threaded screw-in part. The knob unscrews counterclockwise to remove, and the top plate lifts off in order to apply and secure blotter paper. As far as I can tell, the rocker blotters pictured in this thread appear to come apart the same way, except for fixedgearhead's beautiful, cherry blotter. I hope this helps so you can enjoy your blotter.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/Rocker-Paper.jpg

I included Pendemonium's packets of blotter paper in my photo. I trim about an inch off the width using an X-Acto knife for perfect fit on the large rocker. (These sheets are 9" x 4" and convenient.) I can get two coverings per sheet for my smaller rocker. Richard's blotters would be way to short for either of mine, but if Pippin60 made a very small one it would be an economical solution. Of course, $1 for 4 sheets from Pendemonium is pretty economical. :)

Wow; some of these are absolutely gorgeous. Mine is pretty boring by comparison. And unused so far, as well, as I haven't yet managed to figure out how to get the paper in it.

People have been giving you good advice, but possibly a photo will help. Here is one of my rockers taken apart — three pieces, as you can see. The knobs on both of mine are entirely wood, including the threaded screw-in part. The knob unscrews counterclockwise to remove, and the top plate lifts off in order to apply and secure blotter paper. As far as I can tell, the rocker blotters pictured in this thread appear to come apart the same way, except for fixedgearhead's beautiful, cherry blotter. I hope this helps so you can enjoy your blotter.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/Rocker-Paper.jpg

I included Pendemonium's packets of blotter paper in my photo. I trim about an inch off the width using an X-Acto knife for perfect fit on the large rocker. (These sheets are 9" x 4" and convenient.) I can get two coverings per sheet for my smaller rocker. Richard's blotters would be way to short for either of mine, but if Pippin60 made a very small one it would be an economical solution. Of course, $1 for 4 sheets from Pendemonium is pretty economical. :)

Yay!!! I got it; thank you! Apparently, it just took more strength than I had to unscrew it easily. I was just about to ask my husband to try to unscrew it when it finally broke loose. Hopefully now that it's been taken apart it will come apart more easily next time. :)

Be blessed!

~Rachel R. <><

http://blog.titus2homemaker.com

Yay!!! I got it; thank you! Apparently, it just took more strength than I had to unscrew it easily. I was just about to ask my husband to try to unscrew it when it finally broke loose. Hopefully now that it's been taken apart it will come apart more easily next time. :)

Hooray! Good news! :) :) :) :)

• 5 years later...

fpn_1421961068__ipad_508a.jpgfpn_1421961090__ipad_512a.jpgfpn_1421962399__ipad_514a.jpg

I made this from a few offcuts this week. I have just obtained a Parker Urban that is a wet writer and can now be blotted. I had intented to turn a handle on a lathe but was in a rush to make it. I may turn one later, but this will do for now. I just need to obtain some new blotting paper. Supplies at school went years ago. I can just see people throwing old stock out when clearing cupboards. If only people would ask if things are wanted first.

K

Golf knob blotter? How nice personal touch.

This is what i have got: The small blotter and sealing stamp are made by me. I use these stuff all the time, as i don't care for shading but want the ink to dry instantly. I use the blotter in the end of every line i write, not just when turning page, when i use copy paper for example that doesn't dry instantly. I don't know what material the cloth should be so i only use a piece of toilet paper in it.

post-80469-0-98418000-1421970027_thumb.jpg

There are other ways than the easiest one too.

I have 3; the small JHerbin one, a medium size that I got on eBay, and a slightly larger one .

I use the medium size one fairly regularly.

• The glossy paper on the wall calendar takes a LONG time for the ink to dry. So I use the blotter to speed it along, so I can flip the page.
  • When signing certain cards, the paper takes a long time to dry. So I have to blot the ink, so that I can fold the card and put it in the envelope.

The medium size blotter is a simple wooden one, a $15 purchase on Ebay.

In retrospect after using it, I found a couple of issues.

• The top plate is longer than the curved bottom. It may look good, but that overhang prevents me from using the ends of the blotting paper.
  • They put a bolt in from the bottom of the curved piece for the handle, a good idea. But the putty the used to plug the hole was not smooth, and the blotter would not blot right there. I had to fill and level it with fast drying epoxy.
  • I found out that the curved surface was not really finished smoothly. I use sandpaper to try to smoothen out the curved surface.

I guess it was meant to be a period piece for decoration as opposed to actually being used.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com