3 replies to this topic

#1 rminj

rminj

almost giving up on ballpoints

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:14

My 11 year old son has been using an old 9mm Century lead pen that was mine or my wife's. He
really likes the thicker lead. The other day he came home saying it would not load any lead.

I tried using the tool from a 5mm pen to poke in it but it seems broken/jammed. No matter how much I twist it
it will not load the lead.

Question..if I send it to Cross for repair will they send me back a new 5mm replacement or fix/replace the 9mm one.
I know they don't make them anymore..my son would really like the older one though.

Thanks.

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 00:58

I a .9mm Cross pencil also.

I thought if you kept turning, it would eject anything broken inside?

If not, there may be an acetylene torch file set which can reach in and, with a sharpened point, break out anything left. These are corrugated wires in various thicknesses for cleaning carbon from the torch tip.

How might others remove the lead?

#3 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:15

Generally, if you contact them and tell them you want the particular pen fixed, because it is important to you for what ever reason, they will repair it rather than replace it. You should also send a copy of the letter rapped around the pen when you send it in.

I think they are still repairing the 0.036" (0.9mm in the ever opressive push to force Americans into the metric system which 90% of us don't want) mechanisms. I have heard they ran off a promotional lot of them within the last five years.

good luck.......
YMMV

#4 elysee

elysee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:28

QUOTE (rminj @ Jun 5 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No matter how much I twist it it will not load the lead.

In regard to twisting the pencil to load the lead, do you mean that the lead will not enter the pencil as you twist the pencil mechanism or that, once you have retracted the lead into the pencil, the lead will not remain in the pencil? The reason that I ask is that, once I have retracted the lead, leaving a small amount at the end of the pencil, I must always push on the end of the lead to secure it into the pencil before the new piece of lead is ready to use; if not secured, the lead slips out of the pencil. The same is true for the 0.9 mm Duofold pencil since both of these pencils load one piece of lead at a time through the writing end of the pencil unlike the current spring-loaded pencils (for 0.5 mm and 0.7 mm pencils) that advance lead from the "reservoir".

If the lead mechanism will not retract into the pencil then call Cross to ask about fixing the pencil mechanism. I mailed a 0.9 mm Sterling Silver Cross Century pencil to Cross at most two years ago and the folks at Cross were great about repairing it -- no replacement, I received my pencil back in working order.