Lamy Safari

chemgeek

Hi,

I'm looking for a nib with stroke variation...  I understand there's either italic, or stub nibs for that, or oblique, or flex.  Now, according to an online shop, the Lamy Safari/All-Star/Vista comes with a range of these nibs: EF, F, M, MK*, OM, left-handed (LH) B, OB or 1.1mm italic nib sizes.  MK is for people not used to fountain pens, so I'm leaving that one and LH out.

Am I right in assuming EF-F-MK-B are regular nibs and OM-OB are oblique tips (hence the O) ?  I find italics too extreme, so I'm looking for an inexpensive (not cheap :P) pen with an oblique tip so I can experiment.  Lamy All-Star OB sounds perfect if it fits that description :)

Peter.

Hi PeterL...

you may want to read this thread concerning oblique nibs... Contrary belief, They don't give line variation...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...indpost&p=87667

An oblique nib can give you line variation but it depends on how you rotate nib. I have seen it with my own eyes. It is more difficult to get line variation than with a italic or even stub but it is possible.

K

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• Armchop

• ht1

• shahrincamille

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back in 1998 (if I recall correctly) I got a black Safari. It was actually very dark grey. I had one significant complaint: surface texture.

The other colors were all smooth. The grey one had a texture like my new mouse, and I found it very aggravating in short order. Fortunately, the very nice folks at the Colorado Pen Shop boutique where I got it let me trade it back in, and I got a Pelikan M250 instead.

You guys are lucky. I have no clue where in the US it's possible to get just the point. As far as I know, I have to buy the entire section in order to change point width.

Swisher has Safari nibs (swisherpens.com) for $11. I believe these are the nibs only, not the sections. But at that price, you might consider buying a whole Safari pen with the nib size you want.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this excellent review since I just received my Yellow Lamy Safari in the mail today.

I personally think it is very pretty to look at, but I like austere German construction, just like I like austere German synthpop. :P The nib is tough, and at first seemed very scratchy, but I slowed down my writing and it moves a lot smoother. The only pen I have to compare this to, because it is the only other pen I own, is the Hero 100. Both would be excellent choices for a first-timer's pen, but if I had to choose, it would be the Hero.

Really my reasons for getting the Lamy was to A ) experience a pen with an exposed nib so I could see how it works and B ) get some experience with a Lamy product, since I am FASCINATED with the Lamy 2000, which I am positive will be my first ~100USD pen. But I am also interested in a Pilot VP... hmmm...

My problem with the Safari is that it is a bit awkward to hold due to the funny grip. When I hold it how I hold a pen normally, the nib isn't angled perfectly, it is turned over a bit so I see the underside of the nib. So far I definitely prefer a pen without any kind of grip, just smooth and consistent throughout the grip's circumference is what I need.

But, I filled the Lamy with my new ink, Noodlers Blue-Black! So just for that I will be using it for a while. :)

happiness isn't caused

Thought I'd bump this excellent review since I just received my Yellow Lamy Safari in the mail today.

I personally think it is very pretty to look at, but I like austere German construction, just like I like austere German synthpop. :P The nib is tough, and at first seemed very scratchy, but I slowed down my writing and it moves a lot smoother. The only pen I have to compare this to, because it is the only other pen I own, is the Hero 100. Both would be excellent choices for a first-timer's pen, but if I had to choose, it would be the Hero.

Really my reasons for getting the Lamy was to A ) experience a pen with an exposed nib so I could see how it works and B ) get some experience with a Lamy product, since I am FASCINATED with the Lamy 2000, which I am positive will be my first ~100USD pen. But I am also interested in a Pilot VP... hmmm...

My problem with the Safari is that it is a bit awkward to hold due to the funny grip. When I hold it how I hold a pen normally, the nib isn't angled perfectly, it is turned over a bit so I see the underside of the nib. So far I definitely prefer a pen without any kind of grip, just smooth and consistent throughout the grip's circumference is what I need.

But, I filled the Lamy with my new ink, Noodlers Blue-Black! So just for that I will be using it for a while. :)

I like the Safari too. Today I bought a fine nib to swap out the medium in mine -- haven't put it in yet.

If you have problems witht he Safari grip, you'll probably not like the VP clip placement. Both pens are for "school book" grips, and if you don't grip your pens that way, you'll have probs.

The old Parker 75's had a grip like the Safari, but the nib could rotate to adjust to your hand. Clever! I haven't looked around, but I bet you can get a (vintage) 75 for the same price or less than either a Lamy 2000 or VP. Might want to look into that...

Doug

Have you noticed tha ABS plastic body of the new Lamy Safaris are "thinner & lighter" than the older models?

I don´t get that... What do you mean? I´ve just compared a Safari from the W. Germany days with a new one (using a pachymeter to check the dimensions), and they seem to be identical .

If you have problems witht he Safari grip, you'll probably not like the VP clip placement. Both pens are for "school book" grips, and if you don't grip your pens that way, you'll have probs.

The old Parker 75's had a grip like the Safari, but the nib could rotate to adjust to your hand. Clever! I haven't looked around, but I bet you can get a (vintage) 75 for the same price or less than either a Lamy 2000 or VP. Might want to look into that...

Doug

Thats good to know Doug, thanks for the tip. I'll put the "75" on the check-out list, and hold off on the VP until I can actually try one out (though I have no idea where I would do that).

Now I just need to decide whether I want the 2000 in an F or M, but that is a topic for a different thread.

happiness isn't caused

Just as an addendum, I find after a few days of use, the Safari has smoothed out considerably; less "scratchy". Though the lines are still inconsistent, this might be due more to user error then a problem with the pen.

It really is a marvelous instrument, all the moreso because of how inexpensive it is. I'm thinking of trying out another one (or maybe an Al-Star) in a M nib, so I can try out a new size nib without spending a lot of cash.

happiness isn't caused

Just as an addendum, I find after a few days of use, the Safari has smoothed out considerably; less "scratchy". Though the lines are still inconsistent, this might be due more to user error then a problem with the pen.

It really is a marvelous instrument, all the moreso because of how inexpensive it is. I'm thinking of trying out another one (or maybe an Al-Star) in a M nib, so I can try out a new size nib without spending a lot of cash.

I did the same thing, purchasing the Al-Star after enjoying the Safari. I didn't care for the balance of the Al-Star, with the cap posted it felt top heavy to me. The aluminum body was light overall, but the cap just threw the balance off for me. I would try it out before you buy it. The nib is great, just like the Safari, but I traded my Al-Star. I am currently considering buying another Safari with a fine nib.

--J. Haney

Maybe the demonstrator version, the Vista? Same shape, but since it's clear, it looks different. There is a nice internal metal "cannister" over the nib part to keep the neurotic from obsessing over little drops of ink on the inside. The converter has a long red twister which adds a great visual touch.

Some criticize the Safari (and Lamys in general) for being a bit "industrial" in design, but they have a very unique, stylish, modern look to my eye. Plus they write well. Like some "drivers'" cars, they're "writers'" pens. They deserve some points for that!

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody here used a Lamy Alu? As far as I can ascertain, it uses the same nib unit as the Safari, but in a thin and light aluminium body. Might be good for someone who finds the Safari too chunky.

http://www.pencity.com.au/images/alufp.jpg

I have one of these, and I love it! Very lightweight and a beautifully smooth writer. Never skips either!

Bernie0104, yes, where can you get the alu? I went to the Lamy website and notice that they make a number of slim, cylindrical, cartridge/converter pens. I wasn't really aware of these and I find them intriguing. They seem a bit like the Sheaffer Targa except the Lamy's appear completely cylindrical and not tapered. Interestingly, there was a Targa model "cp1" which was made in cooperation with Classic Pens. There is also a Lamy "cp1" which with a matt black titanium oxide finish. Also interesting is the "linea K" model with is an aluminum pen with a Parker-esque cisele finish!

Lamy cp1

Lamy linea K

Okay, now someone tell us how much these cost, where one can get one. Also, if someone can tell us how they actually perform as pens, that would be appreciated too. I guess I should have checked the fountain pen review index first. If I find any reviews, I'll come back and post the links here.

Doug

The cp1 and the other slim pens do have the same steel nib (on a plastic) section as the Safari or the Studio, so the performance is the same.

I do have a cp1. It was given to me as a gift by Deutsche Telekom after a few months of consulting work ... it is a slim and simple black stick. The the stainless steel spring clip (with Telekom dots) and brass cap (and possibly body) material makes it top heavy when posted.

For me, it is too slim to be ergonomic. While I pulled off the nib, the plastic feed came partially out of the section and now is stuck in this position ... :blush:

Edited by saintsimon

Hi again,

I live in Glasgow (UK) and bought my Alu from The Pen Shop in Prince's Square, Glasgow. The Lamy Linea is the same pen, only the finish is different. I tried one of these at the time I bought the Alu. As far as I can remember, I paid around £30 for the Alu. The Pen Shop has an online store (see link below), but I don't see the Alu currently listed there. The Pen Shop has a chain of shops though, so maybe calling a few of their branches will turn one up if you're keen!

The CP1 is one Lamy that I haven't tried... looks nice though! Nice clean modern lines.

http://www.penshop.co.uk/

Bernie0104, yes, where can you get the alu?  I went to the Lamy website and notice that they make a number of slim, cylindrical, cartridge/converter pens.  I wasn't really aware of these and I find them intriguing.  They seem a bit like the Sheaffer Targa except the Lamy's appear completely cylindrical and not tapered.  Interestingly, there was a Targa model "cp1" which was made in cooperation with Classic Pens.  There is also a Lamy "cp1" which with a matt black titanium oxide finish.  Also interesting is the "linea K" model with is an aluminum pen with a Parker-esque cisele finish!

Lamy cp1

Lamy linea K

Okay, now someone tell us how much these cost, where one can get one.  Also, if someone can tell us how they actually perform as pens, that would be appreciated too.  I guess I should have checked the fountain pen review index first.  If I find any reviews, I'll come back and post the links here.

Doug

HDoug,

I once owned a Shaeffer Targa (a LONG time ago), and as far as I can remember it had a brass barrel, which made it feel quite substantial in the hand. These Lamys are quite different - very lightweight, without feeling flimsy. The caps attach and post with a nice positive click, and the clip is strong and heavily chromed, a bit like the Targa. Posting the cap will not damage the finish, as it fits over the chromed endpiece. When posted, the cap fits flush with the barrel, making the pen very comfortable to hold. The Lamy logo is etched (I think) into the clip, so it will not rub off over time. Fit and finish is very good, with nice tight shut lines between the cap and barrel, whether capped or posted. Writing experience is as per the Safari, and nibs can be exchanged VERY easily, as they simply slide off the feed. In my experience the pen is always ready to write, supplying ink as soon as it touches paper, even when it hasn't been used in a while. The Alu has a nice ribbed finish, which feels very nice indeed. I tend to be careful with it though, as aluminium is obviously not as hard as stainless steel, for example. All in all, a nice pen if you like modern fountain pens.

So, probably not for everyone, but worth a look in my opinion!

Bernie0104, yes, where can you get the alu?  I went to the Lamy website and notice that they make a number of slim, cylindrical, cartridge/converter pens.  I wasn't really aware of these and I find them intriguing.  They seem a bit like the Sheaffer Targa except the Lamy's appear completely cylindrical and not tapered.  Interestingly, there was a Targa model "cp1" which was made in cooperation with Classic Pens.  There is also a Lamy "cp1" which with a matt black titanium oxide finish.  Also interesting is the "linea K" model with is an aluminum pen with a Parker-esque cisele finish!

Lamy cp1

Lamy linea K

Okay, now someone tell us how much these cost, where one can get one.  Also, if someone can tell us how they actually perform as pens, that would be appreciated too.  I guess I should have checked the fountain pen review index first.  If I find any reviews, I'll come back and post the links here.

Doug

HDoug,

Here is a UK-based supplier of the Alu, and indeed all of the other slim Lamy fountain pens at reasonable prices.

They will deliver to:

Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Austria, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Iceland and Norway.

Delivery to these countries is £3.00, and is normally 3-5 days from despatch (not order)

In addition they also deliver to the USA and Canada.

Delivery charge is £5.00 and delivery is normally 5-7 days from despatch of order.

http://www.theofficecollection.co.uk/erol.html

Just look under 'Pens', then click on the Lamy logo.

Hope this helps!

Bernie.

Quote: "Has anybody here used a Lamy Alu? As far as I can ascertain, it uses the same nib unit as the Safari, but in a thin and light aluminium body. Might be good for someone who finds the Safari too chunky."

I've only seen pictures of the Safari, and I haven't purchased one because it looks too thin for me. If the Safari is too chunky for some, maybe I'm wrong. Can anyone tell me how the diameter of the Safari compares to the Waterman Phileas or the Pilot Knight?

The Safari and Phileas are very close to the same size.

The Safari is a bit longer, esp. when uncapped, and feels even larger 'cause it doesn't taper like the Phileas.

William