pictures of new lamy dialog 3

obmike

Swisher pens is advertising the pen: I stumbled across this page Lamy Dialog

This thread is now so long that I apologize if I missed someone else's post on the same point.

Discounted price from RRP $300 down to $225, expected delivery September 2009.

* Nakaya celluloid M * Nakaya Briar F * Sailor PG M-F * Parker Duofold Jnr F * LAMY Safari EF * Tombow Object F * Lamy 2K EF * Platinum Preppy 0.3 *

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• saintsimon

• Deirdre

• Silvermink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But how dare they to discount it :rolleyes:

The Lamy boss explicitly said in an interview :

"... We are going to present this year a product, an exceptional writing instrument, which doesn't yet exist in the market in that way - even technologically. Clearly a premium* product. This brings us into a price segment which is higher than our current one. The new fountain pen is a typicall Lamy: a lot of value for a good price. We are working on its realization for already nine years.

I'm convinced that a Lamy in typical Lamy-quality cannot be made abroad. ..." :hmm1: :bonk: I should lend him my decimo ...

*premium is is a typical German marketing excuse for overpricing German products (like MB, or even if they are full of foreign made parts like BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc.), which are - of course - intrinsically superior to the competition.

Especially the car industry is still full of hybris. :rolleyes:

Edited by saintsimon

*premium is is a typical German marketing excuse for overpricing German products (like MB, or even if they are full of foreign made parts like BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc.), which are - of course - intrincically superior to the competition.

Especially the car industry is still full of hybris. :rolleyes:

Well, A typical Lamy (and even a MB, although I'm not at all into those) is a lot more "in-house" in terms of build than your average Ultimate Driving Machine...

- Barrett

Edited by amateriat

Hmm...This is just my opinion, but...Leave it to Lamy to take a good idea and make it absolutely ugly. I was really hoping this would be an attractive pen, but I guess the folks at Lamy aren't capable of making a pen that looks as good as it writes.

Again, I know there are a lot of folks that like the looks of Lamy's pens. I'm just not one of them.

A pen is a good deal like a rifle; much depends on the man behind it. Paraphrased from John Philip Souza

I like it for the novelty aspect, however at 300$ a pop I could get a better (in my opinion) pen so I doubt I will get it since 300$ is a superb Waterman 52 with some change spare in my books. :/

Interesting design though, if it wasn't a Lamy I would shrug it off as a cheap made in china plastic gimmick but because we know what it is we automatically super impose a perceived value.

Ad copy needs to die. :(

"...an exceptional writing instrument, which doesn't yet exist in the market in that way - even technologically."

I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how a twist retractable nib doesn't exist in the market yet or is exceptional technologically. Needless to say I am rather disappointed in the hyperbole that surrounded this pen and what it turned out being at the price point for which it is being offered.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how a twist retractable nib doesn't exist in the market yet or is exceptional technologically. Needless to say I am rather disappointed in the hyperbole that surrounded this pen and what it turned out being at the price point for which it is being offered.

There are several twist/retractable pens on the market: the Pilot Fermo features a twist mechanism, as do several Stipula models (e.g., the d'Inverno) and at least one Visconti model. The Stipula and Visconti models have caps, while the Fermo does not. Best,

David

Edited by cellulophile

There are several twist/retractable pens on the market: the Pilot Fermo features a twist mechanism, as do several Stipula models (e.g., the d'Inverno) and at least one Visconti model. The Stipula and Visconti models have caps, while the Fermo does not. Best,

David

The Stipula DaVinci doesn't have a cap. However that model it is known to have a problem with a fast drying of the nib.

Possibly the only real contender would be the fermo.

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

David

The Stipula DaVinci doesn't have a cap. However that model it is known to have a problem with a fast drying of the nib.

Possibly the only real contender would be the fermo.

Cheers,

Indeed. For that matter, my d'Inverno had a drying-out problem as well, regardless of the cap. And I would much prefer to spend less than $200 for a Fermo than more than $200 for the Lamy. Best,

David

David

Exactly my point, David. Again, I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how a twist retractable nib does not exist in the market yet when clearly they do. Yet Lamy's ad hyperbole suggests a twist mechanism is somehow new technology or innovative.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

David

Exactly my point, David. Again, I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how a twist retractable nib does not exist in the market yet when clearly they do. Yet Lamy's ad hyperbole suggests a twist mechanism is somehow new technology or innovative.

Oh, I misread your first post. Sorry about that :-). Obviously, I agree completely... Best,

David

Edited by cellulophile

I paid $200 CAD for my Lamy 2000 and it was on SALE!

If i didn't, I would have paid about $250!

WHAT???????!!!!!!!!! Here we can get a Lamy 2000 for $128 or less!!!!! You guys ARE getting robbed, both in Australia and Canada!

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

I paid $200 CAD for my Lamy 2000 and it was on SALE!

If i didn't, I would have paid about $250!

WHAT???????!!!!!!!!! Here we can get a Lamy 2000 for $128 or less!!!!! You guys ARE getting robbed, both in Australia and Canada!

Dosen't really matter though. The QC is not good with Lamy so I decided I wanted to try the pen first.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

expected late july. $300.

needless to say, i'm getting one.

post-3255-1243964867_thumb.jpg

Hi!

I read somewhere on this forum that Lamy is gonna come up with a new flagship, is this the one? :)

I read somewhere on this forum that Lamy is gonna come up with a new flagship, is this the one? :)

I hope not; judging from the response here, it would be like transferring their flag to the Titanic.

I'm not thrilled with that picture either, but I'm not going to decide based on a single picture. Lamy hasn't let me down yet.

I'm not thrilled with that picture either, but I'm not going to decide

based on a single picture. Lamy hasn't let me down yet.

I hope that there's more to it than is revealed by the picture too.

It would be hard to believe that they spent nine years to develop a Fermo

that takes lamy cartridges...

I'm not thrilled with that picture either, but I'm not going to decide

based on a single picture. Lamy hasn't let me down yet.

I hope that there's more to it than is revealed by the picture too.

It would be hard to believe that they spent nine years to develop a Fermo

that takes lamy cartridges...

I hope so, too. Not every design Lamy's rolled out has tripped my trigger, but their batting average is still pretty good. (As I mentioned before, the Dialog 1 was one of the few Lamy designs that fell short of the mark for me, whereas the Dialog 2 was practically love at first sight.)

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single pen manufacturer that hasn't let me down at least a few times with a given model. Doesn't mean I write them off completely.

As far as a "flagship" pen is concerned, I regard the Lamy 2000 FP as the spiritual flag-bearer for the brand, even though it has long since been surpassed in price by various other Lamys, including the Persona (which I like a lot, even though I have to use a converter to bottle-fill it). If this upcoming model is also a converter, I'll be a tad let down, but, like the Persona (which I find a dream to write with), I'll want to get the overall gestalt of the thing before passing judgement.

- Barrett

Edited by amateriat

Well, either that or they just don't think Italian pens matter.

My guess is that it's using a different mechanism than either Visconti or Stipula are.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Thinking about filling a converter in the D3 that might be not a good idea. It would be hard to keep the opening out of the ink. Unless they have nib unit like Stipula or Pilot which can be taken out of the body. Which would innovative, pioneering work, of course. :hmm1:

Edited by saintsimon