#1 George

George

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 21:10

Hey all,

I just wanted to ask Torelli pen owners to post a pic of your pen, or just a description of what you have. I believe these pens to be the best in the world, and wanted to see how many FPNers have one of his customs. I know that some people have waited 5 years plus for one of his pens - others have waited over 10 years, and still do not have one.

Here is my favorite, and one of my most perfect pens (I have one other perfect pen): The Torelli 51 titanium. 14k trim, speedline filler, first year stub nib. This is an early one with a serial number of 3. Will not crack break dent or warp (unless you jam it in a gear or something). A combination of the labors of Parker pens in the 1940's, mixed with technology of today.

From Torelli

Edited by George, 09 May 2009 - 21:12.

#2 RalphP

RalphP

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 22:39

Tomorrow this post will be five (5) years old - it has taken me about that long to find a couple of Brad Torelli's pens - granted I'm not a real avid searcher...

The first is 4th from the left - a 51 vacumatic in in traditional vacumatic material with a demonstrator shell.  The cap has concentric lines.  The filler unit was changed to a speedline because it just seemed to be more "in character". 

The 6th from the left is an oversized vacumatic with a lockdown filler in Tabaldi material - really beautiful!

51s-OS-Vac_zps09104a49.jpg

ralph prather

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 23:02

The bottom are nice looking pens...never heard of the guy.

The top one don't do anything for me.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 23:28

Very nice Torelli's..and..your work is superlative.

Fred

#5 Ink Blotto

Ink Blotto

2nd Year Freshman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2014 - 00:51

Does Torelli still make pens? His website seems to have not been updated in a few years.

#6 dsolmei

dsolmei

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:10

Mr. Torelli still make pens. A few new pens will pop-up on Richard Binder's site from time-to-time. You may want to contact Richard or see his website (richardspens.com) for more info.

#7 Ink Blotto

Ink Blotto

2nd Year Freshman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:47

Thanks dsolmei. I'm not quite ready to spend that much since I'm still in my fountain pen education phase, but his pens are definitely on my "watch for" list.

IB

#8 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,435 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 16:19

I have one of Torelli's P51s which i purchased from Richard Binder.  A very nice pen indeed.

However, questionable value, given that it is possible to get a P51 custom shell for $30 on Ebay - which i also did.   True, the P51 nib sticks out a little more on the cheap shell, whereas it is a perfect fit on the Torelli, but it is for each person to decide if that is worth a 12x premium.

That being said, i am still considering getting another one.

Edited by de_pen_dent, 09 May 2014 - 16:20.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

#9 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 18:17

Had one.....shoulda kept it......his homage to the MB 139.....heckuva lot cheaper than the real 139.....but probably a lot more durable as a daily writer.....  ;)

Torelli's pens are of the utmost quality, workmanship and finishes. Uses excellent high quality materials.

He also gives lifetime warranty on his pens....great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable.......highly recommend....

P1060136_zpsd4ed7922.jpg

P1060137_zps0fa1be06.jpg

P1060126_zpscf22bee8.jpg

Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#10 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,821 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 19:08

Had one.....shoulda kept it......his homage to the MB 139.....heckuva lot cheaper than the real 139.....but probably a lot more durable as a daily writer.....  ;)

Torelli's pens are of the utmost quality, workmanship and finishes. Uses excellent high quality materials.

He also gives lifetime warranty on his pens....great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable.......highly recommend....

You sold THAT?! 

Are you nuts?

;)  (But I don't even care for MB's)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#11 MiamiArchStudent

MiamiArchStudent

Elegance and Sin.

• Member - Gold

• 1,398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 19:19

I do love that 139 that you had. I have often thought about getting a Coral version of the 138 made by him to use as a daily pen.

What I'm looking for: Montblanc 132, 234 1/2, 235, 422 and 432. Any help would be most appreciated.

#12 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 19:21

Aw, Montblancs are nice writers, even if the style of the Meisterstuck is somewhat dated as of 34 B.C.  There are the jazzier Patrons of the Arts series, possibly the most overdone pelucas (La de Bringas fame, for you Spanish speakers), at any rate overdone to the level of the ghastly.  Their Generations pens are modern and understated, somewhat out of character for the nouveau riche.

The Torelli pens are jazzy and more tasteful, hitting just the right note for admirers. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#13 da vinci

da vinci

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,841 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 21:47

Heres a pic of my Torelli P51....

file_zpsa02ee05e.jpg

#14 dsolmei

dsolmei

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:37

I'd love to get an MB139 homage. Certainly, I can't afford the real thing. That is a killer pen, ArchiMark.

#15 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 20:14

Wait, a 139 replica exists? How much? 

#16 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:50

I had a Torelli 139 replica; sold it and wouldn't buy another. It was fantastically manufactured - the plastic was exceptional, and it was a thing of beauty. But it just didn't write well, with an out-of-control feed which had a tendency to blob all over paper. The filling system (a vacuum plunger filler) didn't much inspire confidence either.

I would buy a Torelli 51, but that is more because the bits that work are all Parker, which means Brad can concentrate on what he does best: the beautiful, non-functional bits :)
Too many pens; too little writing.

#17 bayport714

bayport714

A Hardy Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:12

A quick iPad photo with bad lighting...image.jpg

All are Torellis and all are exceptional writers. I need to post better photos. Of particular interest are the second from left - a brown demonstrator with a Parker 61 Rainbow cap that Brad reshaped to fit a 51 and the third from the right which is a solid sterling silver Empire design.

#18 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2014 - 17:21

I do love that 139 that you had. I have often thought about getting a Coral version of the 138 made by him to use as a daily pen.

A much belated 'Thanks'...didn't know about all the replies until now, as starting early April, I stopped getting email notifications...finally got that fixed recently....

Anyway, didn't know about his 138....but I'm sure it would be great....

I'd love to get an MB139 homage. Certainly, I can't afford the real thing. That is a killer pen, ArchiMark.

A much belated Thanks to you too....

I had a Torelli 139 replica; sold it and wouldn't buy another. It was fantastically manufactured - the plastic was exceptional, and it was a thing of beauty. But it just didn't write well, with an out-of-control feed which had a tendency to blob all over paper. The filling system (a vacuum plunger filler) didn't much inspire confidence either.

I would buy a Torelli 51, but that is more because the bits that work are all Parker, which means Brad can concentrate on what he does best: the beautiful, non-functional bits :)

Sorry to hear you had such problems with yours.....I can tell you from experience that Brad would have been very glad to fix it for you. I didn't need a repair, but wanted him to do a nib swap. Not only did he do that for me, but he inspected and adjusted pen to be just right, at no extra charge.

He's a helluva guy, extremely knowledgeable, responsive, and great to speak with....wants his customers to be very pleased with his pens.

As for the filling system, I was a bit baffled by it at first, but once I figured it out, it was very easy and efficient to use......

Anyway, just my 2 cents..... :)
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***