#31 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 22:32

QUOTE (Rufus @ May 8 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just took a peak at the bespoke pen prices on Richard Binder's site and gagged; I don't think there'll be a new bespoke CS in my future anytime soon. Makes me think that I should either up the asking price or withdraw the modern CS 58 I currently have for sale on FPN..hmmm.

Since you love the color so much and it's now discontinued, if you want a pen that color, I personally would keep it.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#32 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2009 - 23:13

FYI - I've started a thread about the price increase in the CS forum - I thought that we might continue the discussion there. I'm still kind of speechless with regards to this priceincrease. And very happy that I ordered a bespoke pen during the campaign.
*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

#33 Deirdre

Deirdre

• Member - Gold

• 10,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 23:42

Dandelion -- good point. Thank you.

I guess I wouldn't care so much if I didn't like my Dandy so much.
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#34 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 13:33

Getting back to the pen itself --

Dandelion, here is a Conway Stewart Italic Fine writing sample I just found on another thread of mine. It is not a Dandy nib,
but a Duro nib (also the nib used on Churchills and I believe other large models). The nib in the below sample has more line
variation than the IF on my Dandy. I will post a sample of that later as well, for comparison.

Edited by QM2, 09 May 2009 - 13:34.

#35 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,873 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 14:51

Here we go, a sample of the Dandy IF nib:

and here is what it looks like with very quick, scrawling handwriting:

#36 tsunami31

tsunami31

tsunami31

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 15:14

That certainly is a good fine italic nib, gives more style than the one on one of my modern Parker Duofolds.

I have one modern CS stored away (can't remember the model, but it will be an early one) which greatly impressed me for a modern pen and was a favourite writer. It needs resurrecting. The Dandy is a beautiful modern pen, as many of the CS models are....but the cost !!! I've long thought they are one of the best modern pen manufacturers in terms of quality of workmanship and design, but in value for money...

Anyway. just wanted to say that I met the Founder of modern CS at a London Pen Show many years ago when he was just setting up the company. Heard him talking about the difficulties in finding workmen with the skills he needed and it was apparent he was committed to producing the best that could be made - it appears that he has achieved that.

When I regularly used the modern CS I remember thinking that it was better than many of the vintage ones I owned. Rare for that to happen.

Regards Richard
Regards Richard

Current users:
Striped Conklin Nozac (F/XF nib)
Tortoiseshell Sailor Magellan (F nib)
Grey Levenger Seas Sheaffer (F nib)
Delta Dolcevita (Stub nib)

#37 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,873 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 15:27

QUOTE (tsunami31 @ May 9 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I regularly used the modern CS I remember thinking that it was better than many of the vintage ones I owned. Rare for that to happen.

Interesting that you say that. I own about a dozen vintage CS pens at this point (early Dinkie, Duro and Dandy flat-tops), and consider them one of my only "serious" and focused collector's interests. The nibs on these pens are wonderful -- smooth semi-flex, flex, and italic flex. But to actually use them is another matter. The vintage Dinkies I find pretty much impossible to use even when posted; they are simply tiny. The Dandies of this era are also quite small. Using them unposted is impossible for me, and posted is only marginally possible. The only vintage CS pens I can comfortably use are the Duros (I have a No.2 and a No.8), which are standard size, though by no means large by modern standards. But unfortunately, even are not really suitable as daily writers. The 80+ year old casein feels so fragile in the hand, that I am just too anxious to damage them! So I use the vintage CS pens only occasionally to practice flex, but mostly I just enjoy staring at them and fondling them. For daily writers, I use mostly my modern CS pens -- which are built like tanks!

Edited by QM2, 09 May 2009 - 15:36.

#38 RoyalKooparillo

RoyalKooparillo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 19:47

A truly beautiful pen! Such a classic and simple design. I love the lever-fill, as well. I fear my paws are a little too large for it (I never post my pens), but it sure is lovely to look at. It's too bad that one only has the choice of small or gigantic with this style...it would be great to have one similarly sized to the Duro.

#39 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 10,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 21:30

Very nice pen wink.gif enjoy it in good health
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#40 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,873 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 20:45

QUOTE (RoyalKooparillo @ May 9 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's too bad that one only has the choice of small or gigantic with this style...it would be great to have one similarly sized to the Duro.

Have you tried the Churchill "in person" and ruled it out as too large, or do you just think it will be too large? If you haven't tried it, I would encourage you to. It is a very ergonomic pen, and it is light weight. I have 2 and they are extremely comfortable. I prefer the proportions and balance of the Churchill to the Duro.

#41 RedRob

RedRob

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:55

A superb review of a superb pen. Thanks QM2.

If the price was more reasonable, I would buy a Dandy right away after reading your review. It is my favorite CS model.

#42 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,873 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:54

QUOTE (RedRob @ May 12 2009, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A superb review of a superb pen. Thanks QM2.

If the price was more reasonable, I would buy a Dandy right away after reading your review. It is my favorite CS model.

Check out the May Sale : )

#43 RedRob

RedRob

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:34

Okay QM2, your enticing review combined with the spring sale and those (ridiculous) price increases coming up made me pull the trigger and order my first Conway Stewart FP (with Bryant). It is - guess what? - a Dandy in lapis blue with lever, gold trim and M nib.

Conway Stewart could maybe give you some discount for all the customers your review is bringing in wink.gif

PS I also have to thank those who lobbied for the lever pens to be included in the sale. Without the lever I would still be sitting on my hands.

Edited by RedRob, 13 May 2009 - 01:36.

#44 RoyalKooparillo

RoyalKooparillo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:09

QUOTE (QM2 @ May 10 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (RoyalKooparillo @ May 9 2009, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's too bad that one only has the choice of small or gigantic with this style...it would be great to have one similarly sized to the Duro.

Have you tried the Churchill "in person" and ruled it out as too large, or do you just think it will be too large? If you haven't tried it, I would encourage you to. It is a very ergonomic pen, and it is light weight. I have 2 and they are extremely comfortable. I prefer the proportions and balance of the Churchill to the Duro.

I actually have not tried one out in person...hopefully I will soon, though! I'm pretty sold on the Churchill. It's just gorgeous.

#45 Deirdre

Deirdre

• Member - Gold

• 10,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:02

QUOTE (RoyalKooparillo @ May 12 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually have not tried one out in person...hopefully I will soon, though! I'm pretty sold on the Churchill. It's just gorgeous.

I find them a bit long and a bit wide for my taste, but the light weight means it's not a dealbreaker for me.
deirdre.net

#46 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• 1,827 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:19

QUOTE (RedRob @ May 13 2009, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Conway Stewart could maybe give you some discount for all the customers your review is bringing in wink.gif

I absolutely agree!

Edited by dandelion, 13 May 2009 - 08:19.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

#47 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,873 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:24

QUOTE (dandelion @ May 13 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (RedRob @ May 13 2009, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I absolutely agree!

Heh thank you : ) The fact that they've extended the sale till the end of May and included lever pens, is reward in itself. Plus I get a great deal from my local shop!

Edited by QM2, 13 May 2009 - 08:52.

#48 offbase

offbase

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,975 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 17:05

I bought a limited edition, BCHR lever-filled Dandy with a solid gold, hall-marked, wide cap band for about $335 around 4 years ago. Paying more than twice that for a standard, plastic Dandy is just insanity. That's Omas LE price territory (if you buy from Pam Braun, that is). That's a Churchill from a high-priced dealer. That's a Visconti Wall Street, LE, or a DuPont laquer Olympio ...

#49 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,873 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:45

I bought a limited edition, BCHR lever-filled Dandy with a solid gold, hall-marked, wide cap band for about $335 around 4 years ago. Paying more than twice that for a standard, plastic Dandy is just insanity. That's Omas LE price territory (if you buy from Pam Braun, that is). That's a Churchill from a high-priced dealer. That's a Visconti Wall Street, LE, or a DuPont laquer Olympio ...

True; I would never pay that much. Thankfully, my local shop was able to squeeze out a sweet deal for me while the clearance was still happening. I now own a second Dandy in "classic green", gold trim, lever fill. It was made for me a couple of months ago, but I only picked it up last week. It is perfect! But due to the price increase, that is most likely my last CS purchase.