Private Reserve Ink: DC Supershow Blue

Signum1

The second batter is DC Supershow Blue from Private Reserve. And drives a hit into the gap for an easy single.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6166/scannedimage4i.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• Inka

• Signum1

• Randal6393

thanx for the nice review and comparison! very vibrant color, aint' it?

DC supershow B is one of my most used ink. i love the flow, so i use it, mainly, on my dry writers.

how did you do the water test? did you wipe it with a cotton swab? as i remember (and this was the only con i find with this ink), it's not that water resistant. it looks ok by your test (?).

thanx for the nice review and comparison! very vibrant color, aint' it?

DC supershow B is one of my most used ink. i love the flow, so i use it, mainly, on my dry writers.

how did you do the water test? did you wipe it with a cotton swab? as i remember (and this was the only con i find with this ink), it's not that water resistant. it looks ok by your test (?).

Lovemy51,

That's correct. I actually wiped a wet cotton cue-tip to test for waterproof.

From the inks I tried, Private Reserve Ink typically do not hold up well against water. Aurora, Sailor, and Noodler inks generally fair a whole lot better against a water test.

I believe ink manufacturers are simply trying to create colours that will sell. If manufacturers list the features that are included in their ink and show a writing sample with different nibs on their website sites, I think that would provide a better representation for their inks. And of course, manufactures can sell more inks because buyers have a better expectation for their inks. Currently, retail sellers simply taking a swab and showing those swabs on their websites. The trouble is that buyer cannot rely on the swap to see how the ink truly appears as "LETTERS" of the English alphabets.

On a different note, different nibs also changes the appearance of the ink. Personally, I prefer the DC Supershow ink better with a broad nib, but then again my bias is clearly shown in my signature below. :)

Edited by Signum1

well, it looks very nice with a broad nib and i can even see a bit of shading on my screen!!!!

awesome!!! keep those reviews coming. who's up next?

ciao for now!

I'm also a recent convert to PR DCSS Blue. The only big downside is smearing and messy hands, even many weeks after the ink has 'dried'. Mixing 50/50 with Sheaffer Skrip Blue has solved the problem and it still looks fantastic.

Nice review.

Unfortunately I've pretty well given up on PR inks with my big nibs because of their reluctance to dry and, as 1000kms says, I find they tend to smear badly on certain paper. I'm a 110% convert at the moment to Lamy Blue myself......

(PS Nice avatar 1000kms - do we share a sportscar racing interest?)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I adore PR DCSS!!!! In fine nibs it behaves beautifully. The only real probelm I've had with PR not drying is Avacado. Even in X/F nibs it takes an absolute age. That's a shame coz its one of my all-time fave colours. I wish Diamine would make a good match...

Signum1,

See you are reviewing on of my favorite inks. DC Supershow Blue is an excellent ink, especially well-behaved in broad nibs. It shows up as a real eye-popper when annotating a document's margin.

Only problem I've had with PR DCSSB is during colder weather. Then it doesn't dry as quickly as needed and may smear some. Otherwise it is a great addition to the inks I love to write with. Use it regularly in a Pelikan M200 Broad nib that is converted to Italic (about 1.0 mm wide stroke). Will have to try it in a 1.5mm nib some day, just for fun.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

• 1 month later...

I'd just received a few cartridges of PR DC Supershow Blue from Goldspot.com today, to try it for myself [yay!].

Having been hesitant to use BSB in my more expensive pens, I still wanted a nice semi-dark yet very intense blue ink to try, something with some nice shading too.

DC Supershow Blue looks like the ticket, for those trying to stay-clear of BSB for whatever reason/s.

I'm still going to get a large 4.5oz bottle of Noodler's Bay State Blue to try, still love the color and I do have pens [several from Nathan T., the Platinum E-D conversions he'd made], those should be perfectly fine w/ BSB.

This gives me more to think about and very useful information, to make a more educated decision, on what to get the next time I'm looking for nice blue ink/s.

Now I can't wait to try my DC Supershow Blue from Goldspot.com; I'll have to pull a cartridge from one of my C/C pens and popped in a cartridge of DC-SS/B now!

Thanks for the review [i've seen it before but now having some of my own I had to take another look] and your comparisons to other inks in the same or similar color range!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

P.S., I still have no idea why PR named this ink "DC Supershow".

Does anyone actually know where they got the name for this ink?

I've Searched the forums, it may be in there somewhere but I've not yet found any information regarding the name it has.

Been very curious to know if the name "DC Supershow"means anything specific, like maybe a name given to it when "possibly" unveiled at a Pen & Ink Show in Washington, D.C.???

Clueless...

:hmm1:

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

The D.C. Supershow is the huge pen show in Washington, D.C. held every August. The PR DC Supershow Blue was made available at the DC Supershow for the first time in 2003, I think. I have versions from 2003 and 2004, if I'm not mistaken. The ink color was popular enough that it became a regular in the PR line-up. There is also a DC Supershow Green. I don't know what year that originated. I'm not a green ink person. Hope this helps.

DCSS blue is not as an intense blue as BSB is, but it's a nice, dark blue. I've found that I like it even better watered down. 50:50 by volume is a good starting point. I have it in a Parker right now at about 70% water and it's still a nice blue. I first noticed this when I first put it into this Parker after flushing with clear water, but I didn't "dewater" the pen.

Looks nice. Would you reccomend this or Lake Placid blue?

Edited by HenryLouis
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Thanks for the replies and the information.

I'm still using Levenger; Amethyst in my Avatar pen, re-ground the nib into a great super-flex Cursive Italic, looks best with bright inks.

Once I use that color cartridge up I'm going to be replacing it with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue and giving it a test-drive.

Looks really good in this review and being written with a Stub Italic, so I'm thinking it should look equally impressive using a home-ground CI with tons of added flex.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I am on my second bottle of this ink in a 51 Flighter with a fine nib. No smear or feathering, and the flow and color make the line closer to a medium and very a stand out blue.

gary