My first Estie

Rob G

I received my first Estie the other day, a beautiful blue J, purchased from Penfisher (Richard), an FPN member and Estie restorer. As well as being my first Esterbrooke its also my first vintage pen and I'm very impressed with it. Mine came with a NOS 1461 Fine nib, as per my request to Richard. The nib writes as a fine nib should, which is the first time I've experienced this since my other pens, all new, write more as i would expect from a medium nib. As such, I'm going to have to get an actual medium nib!

Richard did a great job restoring the pen. It looks like new and writes great. His communications were very thorough. I'm using J Herbin 1670 blue, which seems to be running about the right amount of wetness for this pen. I had previously loaded it in my Pelikan m200 w m400 nib and found it too wet.

Since i got this pen a couple of people have asked my about it. That's a first for me and pens. I think the mottled blue is very eye catching. They're quite surprised to learn its a vintage pen and are soon asking how they can get one. I rather enjoy the attention that the pen receives.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received my first Estie the other day, a beautiful blue J, purchased from Penfisher (Richard), an FPN member and Estie restorer. As well as being my first Esterbrooke its also my first vintage pen and I'm very impressed with it. Mine came with a NOS 1461 Fine nib, as per my request to Richard. The nib writes as a fine nib should, which is the first time I've experienced this since my other pens, all new, write more as i would expect from a medium nib. As such, I'm going to have to get an actual medium nib!

Richard did a great job restoring the pen. It looks like new and writes great. His communications were very thorough. I'm using J Herbin 1670 blue, which seems to be running about the right amount of wetness for this pen. I had previously loaded it in my Pelikan m200 w m400 nib and found it too wet.

Since i got this pen a couple of people have asked my about it. That's a first for me and pens. I think the mottled blue is very eye catching. They're quite surprised to learn its a vintage pen and are soon asking how they can get one. I rather enjoy the attention that the pen receives.

To quote Bruce, "Pics, or it never happened."

I am feeling much the same way about my two Esties - had I gotten one of those, first, I might never have tried others... Probably would've but still...

Be forewarned... I will eye-bang the bejeezus out of your pens...
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...

Pics or it never happened. :P

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Usually my philosophy on a lot of things... But, here's a shot of the first Estie... Deluxe?

Was nosing about on esterbrook.net, and what I thought was a deluxe looks a lot like the "Dunno what it is" at the bottom of the "Others" page... Anybody ever find out anything about that model?

That's a really nice pen. Color is great, and a friction fit cap too! That was a great find. Lever filler?

I looked in Paul Hoban's book, The Fountain Pens of Esterbrook, and the closest pic looking like your pen is on the bottom of his fourth color plate. It's labeled "Ca. 1965 - Later cartridge filled felt marker in chrome." Clearly not what you have. Maybe someone changed the section on your pen? Mystery. Maybe someone knows.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pics or it never happened. :P

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Usually my philosophy on a lot of things... But, here's a shot of the first Estie... Deluxe?

Was nosing about on esterbrook.net, and what I thought was a deluxe looks a lot like the "Dunno what it is" at the bottom of the "Others" page... Anybody ever find out anything about that model?

That's a really nice pen. Color is great, and a friction fit cap too! That was a great find. Lever filler?

I looked in Paul Hoban's book, The Fountain Pens of Esterbrook, and the closest pic looking like your pen is on the bottom of his fourth color plate. It's labeled "Ca. 1965 - Later cartridge filled felt marker in chrome." Clearly not what you have. Maybe someone changed the section on your pen? Mystery. Maybe someone knows.

Thanks Pajaro; it is a lever filler.

To quote Bruce, "Pics, or it never happened."

I am feeling much the same way about my two Esties - had I gotten one of those, first, I might never have tried others... Probably would've but still...

Here you go ...

Hello! My name is Chris and I have a problem. After stalking ebay for a week or so I pulled the trigger on a fully restored Green SJ and paid wayyy too much, but I don't care. After opening the package and removing the peanuts it was clear that this pen had been lovingly restored. In fact, it looks as if it is brand new. Once at work, I filled it with Noodlers blue-black and was immediately impressed, smooth nib, no skipping even with the fine point, and a nice moderate to dry ink flow that really allows you to see the color variation in the blue black. I was initially concerned that it was too short (I had originally intended to get an LJ) but posted the pen is perfect; and after reading about the size difference, I feel as if the LJ would be too long posted but still to short uncapped. At any rate, I am hooked, and if I didn't have a button filler on the way I would have already sprung for a second. I just have to decide on color, root beer or gray?

Chris

post-97769-0-32268400-1359847924.png

Hello! My name is Chris and I have a problem. After stalking ebay for a week or so I pulled the trigger on a fully restored Green SJ and paid wayyy too much, but I don't care. After opening the package and removing the peanuts it was clear that this pen had been lovingly restored. In fact, it looks as if it is brand new. Once at work, I filled it with Noodlers blue-black and was immediately impressed, smooth nib, no skipping even with the fine point, and a nice moderate to dry ink flow that really allows you to see the color variation in the blue black. I was initially concerned that it was too short (I had originally intended to get an LJ) but posted the pen is perfect; and after reading about the size difference, I feel as if the LJ would be too long posted but still to short uncapped. At any rate, I am hooked, and if I didn't have a button filler on the way I would have already sprung for a second. I just have to decide on color, root beer or gray?

Chris

A beautiful green pen. Congratulations on your fine taste. I don't think you will see skipping with these pens. I never see skipping until I am running out of ink. Best wishes.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

fpn_1358005200__img_2955.jpg

NICE!!! I have several Deluxe Esties. I appreciate the Deluxe model's clutch cap, easy on, easy off. They write beautifully like my J series Esterbrooks, especially when they have the 2668 or 9668 nib. The Deluxe is a wonderful everyday pen. For beauty you can't beat the Copper Esties, some look almost wood grained. I will show off one of mine that I particularly like because of its streaks. fpn_1359155121__dscn1142.jpg

Thanks kathleen! I now have one in sand, too! I love the design of the Deluxe model, in particular the balance between the sleek metal cap and the soft double jewels.

Thanks to your message above, I'm finally "seeing" that there are subtle differences in the "grains" of the J series. Very interesting!

So it isn't here yet, but when it is pictures galore. Anyhow with my first vintage pen buy I wanted something less expensive, reliable, and well reviewed. So I went to the forums and asked. I got many responses but none were for an Estie. I had never even heard of one before until I looked at the brand forums searching for the pens that people recommended and thought what is this, Esterbrook? That sounds remotely familiar. Well I held off, something from AP history stuck in my head, the thought that hey presidents had those they must be very expensive. Finally curiosity broke the camels back, and the straw killed the cat. I peeked.... And feel in love. Immediately I rushed to ripoff-bay and came across a slightly good deal. A teal dx I believe, still learning, with its box and papers. With shipping it only cost me 19.99. I ordered some shellac and a few sacs the next morning and I can't wait to start. I've read all I can on the subject of restoring this beauty and now it's only the matter of waiting. I may be an absolute fool and in way over my head so any help would be appreciated but even so I'm happy, the nerves will come when the mail runs

My first Estie arrived today! It's a blue SJ with a 2556 nib. The pen is very pretty but to be honest, I think my nib is a dud. The tip looks bent to my eye (supposed to be near mint) and it's scratchy to write with. I know 2556s tend to be fine, but there is too much dry scratchiness to this nib for me to write comfortably. I do have another 2314F nib on the way, so fingers crossed that works out better! Was really looking forward to finding out why everybody seems to love Esterbrooks.

My first Estie arrived today! It's a blue SJ with a 2556 nib. The pen is very pretty but to be honest, I think my nib is a dud. The tip looks bent to my eye (supposed to be near mint) and it's scratchy to write with. I know 2556s tend to be fine, but there is too much dry scratchiness to this nib for me to write comfortably. I do have another 2314F nib on the way, so fingers crossed that works out better! Was really looking forward to finding out why everybody seems to love Esterbrooks.

The 2xxx series nibs are untipped. They have a folded tip instead. Therefor they wear to the hand of the regular user. Your nib likely has developed a sweet spot that corresponds to the writing angle of the previous owner. That is likely to be the case with any used 2xxx nib. The 9xxx series are tipped and much less likely to be worn like this.

Thanks for the tip Scrawler! I have found that if I lower my writing angle a bit it's less scratchy. I guess next time I'll keep an eye out for one of the 9556s instead.

Thanks for the tip Scrawler! I have found that if I lower my writing angle a bit it's less scratchy. I guess next time I'll keep an eye out for one of the 9556s instead.

If you have a magnifying glass look closely at the tip. If you have a foot, it will be clear as a flat spot. That will show the angle it was used at.

Chris

A beautiful green pen. Congratulations on your fine taste. I don't think you will see skipping with these pens. I never see skipping until I am running out of ink. Best wishes.

Thanks! I haven't found any skips, in fact it outshines some significantly more expensive pens. I love it and now I'm searching for #2.

Chris

Edited by mazdamx594

My 2314F nib arrived today and it writes beautifully. Not quite as stubby as I expected (probably because it's a fine) but still a great nib! Very happy with my first Estie!

I believe you have a J and not an SJ. Lovely pen...I'm quite happy with mine

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6210/6105523274_f9e57b1749_z.jpg

Best,

Jake

Reddick Fla.

Hello fans of Esterbrook pens, today I've joined the club! Mine is a beautiful unscathed Copper J, restored by Richard (Penfisher), sporting a smooth 9668 (firm medium) nib and a #18 ink sack (more ink for those long days in class). This being my very first vintage fountain pen, I thought it would be nice to keep and carry it in an original container, so I have improvised a sturdy pen case using a durable eyeglass case and two foam cushions covered with textile material (when the case is closed it locks the pen in place...it can't get any sturdier than that). For the moment the pen is filled with Green Parker Quink.

I want to thank Richard for providing me with such a beautiful writing instrument and of course FPN, for putting me in touch with such wonderful people. I apologize for the low quality of the pictures...but I felt like sharing. I will come back sometime in the future with better ones.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2962/imag0476d.jpg

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3483/imag0477x.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3097/imag0480s.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9610/imag0481d.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1333/imag0486g.jpg

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Hello fans of Esterbrook pens, today I've joined the club! Mine is a beautiful unscathed Copper J, restored by Richard (Penfisher), sporting a smooth 9668 (firm medium) nib and a #18 ink sack (more ink for those long days in class). This being my very first vintage fountain pen, I thought it would be nice to keep and carry it in an original container, so I have improvised a sturdy pen case using a durable eyeglass case and two foam cushions covered with textile material (when the case is closed it locks the pen in place...it can't get any sturdier than that). For the moment the pen is filled with Green Parker Quink.

I want to thank Richard for providing me with such a beautiful writing instrument and of course FPN, for putting me in touch with such wonderful people. I apologize for the low quality of the pictures...but I felt like sharing. I will come back sometime in the future with better ones.

Very nice case!

Very nice case!

Thanks! :vbg:

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)