My first Estie

Rob G

Ask him how he knows it's been restored and resacced.

I haven't heard anything to convince me he knows resaccing from making red eye gravy [1].

If the sac goes TangoUniform 2 months after you get it, it Wasn't restored and $30 was too much.

[1] For starters, in resaccing, the black coffee is optional.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:)on the TU

Edited by Mags

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

My cobalt blue J with a 9550 nib arrived yesterday and it's my first Esterbrook. It had an Esterbrook branded sac in place and held water fine but it doesn't appear to be have properly installed (no talc or shelac). There was some seepage at the base and it came right off. I won't be able to ink it up until a new sac (might as well update it) and some shelac arrives from Mr. Binder.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/jdanley/Esty_4_zpscfe154d5.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

That's a real looker Sarge.

Please post a writing sample when you get your J back on track.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Hey Everyone, I just got my first Esterbrook and I think it is a J of some sort. Could I have a little more help refining my definition of this pen? It is a transitional because it has the black jewel on both the bottom and the top of the cap. The nib is what looks like a NOS #2668 and is very smooth. In the picture I had it inked with De Atramentis Bordeaux and it the sac worked great. I love the colour and the way the pen writes.

post-90105-0-95185500-1356838773.jpg

Hero­ism breaks its heart, and ide­al­ism its back, on the intran­si­gence of the cred­u­lous and the mediocre, manip­u­lated

by the cyn­i­cal and the corrupt. - Christopher Eric Hitchens

Hey Everyone, I just got my first Esterbrook and I think it is a J of some sort. Could I have a little more help refining my definition of this pen? It is a transitional because it has the black jewel on both the bottom and the top of the cap. The nib is what looks like a NOS #2668 and is very smooth. In the picture I had it inked with De Atramentis Bordeaux and it the sac worked great. I love the colour and the way the pen writes.

This is not a "transitional". The transitional Esties have a flat bottom, without jewel at the end of the barrel. It is a regular "J".

This is not a "transitional". The transitional Esties have a flat bottom, without jewel at the end of the barrel. It is a regular "J".

Ah, thank you Scrawler. I was sort of confused about dating this pen. Any idea of the period?

Hero­ism breaks its heart, and ide­al­ism its back, on the intran­si­gence of the cred­u­lous and the mediocre, manip­u­lated

by the cyn­i­cal and the corrupt. - Christopher Eric Hitchens

Ah, thank you Scrawler. I was sort of confused about dating this pen. Any idea of the period?

1947-1955

My first Estie is an ebay buy, being shipped up, now... Think it is a "deluxe" model; should be arriving next week. Nib is 2668. Looking forward to trying it out, and hoping the sac doesn't go TU on me... if it does, I'll be picking up a new one to repair... if nothing else goes TU, I'll consider it a bargain for a firstie... But I *do* wanna get my wee grubbies on a copper J w/ a stub nib...

Be forewarned... I will eye-bang the bejeezus out of your pens...
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...

My first Estie is an ebay buy, being shipped up, now... Think it is a "deluxe" model; should be arriving next week. Nib is 2668. Looking forward to trying it out, and hoping the sac doesn't go TU on me... if it does, I'll be picking up a new one to repair... if nothing else goes TU, I'll consider it a bargain for a firstie... But I *do* wanna get my wee grubbies on a copper J w/ a stub nib...

It's here; it's inked... Happy boy...

Pics or it never happened. :P

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Usually my philosophy on a lot of things... But, here's a shot of the first Estie... Deluxe?

Hi, all--

My grandpa gave me a blue Esterbrook mechanical pencil decades ago. I think it is just lovely, even though it uses huge, wide lead. When I decided to get a fountain pen, I wanted one to match my grandpa's pencil.

I looked on eBay, where the prices were shockingly high to me, but found one with little description and no real information, just that it was an Esterbrook with a 9555 nib. Hoping for this item to be overlooked by most, I bid. My winning bid was $23 and the pen arrived Wednesday.

It turns out to be an SJ in perfect cosmetic condition, the shade of blue perfectly matching my pencil. Today, I bought bottled ink and filled it as an experiment. Success!! The pen works perfectly -- no leaks, no drips, no splotches. :-)

Here is a crummy picture of my Estie set:

post-97803-0-27657400-1358117511.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just taken the plunge and ordered my first Estie! An ebay purchase so I hope it's OK. It's a green J with a 2668 nib and a 1555 (Gregg shorthand?) nib.

Described as being cleaned, flushed and with a new sac. I accepted a best offer price of $42.50. I don't know if this is a fair price or not, never having bought one before. :hmm1: I am really looking forward to its arrival and will post photos when I get it.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

fpn_1358005200__img_2955.jpg

NICE!!! I have several Deluxe Esties. I appreciate the Deluxe model's clutch cap, easy on, easy off. They write beautifully like my J series Esterbrooks, especially when they have the 2668 or 9668 nib. The Deluxe is a wonderful everyday pen. For beauty you can't beat the Copper Esties, some look almost wood grained. I will show off one of mine that I particularly like because of its streaks. fpn_1359155121__dscn1142.jpg

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Just taken the plunge and ordered my first Estie! An ebay purchase so I hope it's OK. It's a green J with a 2668 nib and a 1555 (Gregg shorthand?) nib.

Described as being cleaned, flushed and with a new sac. I accepted a best offer price of $42.50. I don't know if this is a fair price or not, never having bought one before. :hmm1: I am really looking forward to its arrival and will post photos when I get it.

If the pen is all it states that it is, I think you paid a fair price. It would be difficult to find another pen of the same quality as an Esterbrook J, having the same good looks, at that price point. My favorite everyday Estie is my Green filled with Diamine Sherwood, green ink.

fpn_1359155811__dscn1325.jpg

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

If the pen is all it states that it is, I think you paid a fair price. It would be difficult to find another pen of the same quality as an Esterbrook J, having the same good looks, at that price point. My favorite everyday Estie is my Green filled with Diamine Sherwood, green ink.

fpn_1359155811__dscn1325.jpg

Pics or it never happened. :P

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Usually my philosophy on a lot of things... But, here's a shot of the first Estie... Deluxe?

Was nosing about on esterbrook.net, and what I thought was a deluxe looks a lot like the "Dunno what it is" at the bottom of the "Others" page... Anybody ever find out anything about that model?