My first Estie

Rob G

A black Esterbrook J that I paid 19.37 for...and as soon as I unscrewed the nib, pieces of sac and dried ink poured out. :(

Does anyone know to whom I can send this pen for restoration? I'm also afraid that the J bar is rusted, and that just seems too steep a learning curve for me at the moment.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just bought my first Esterbrook, a copper SJ with a 2556 nib. I bought the pen from a fellow FPNer. This pen appears brand new, shiny, glossy and fully functional. This is my first fine nib and it writes very well, I will probably look for a medium or larger nib in the future. I have a few observations, the pen is tiny compared to my TWSBI's, lever filling is cool, the copper color is sweet, I feel I am holding a little bit of history and will probably buy a few more.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I have several esties. At first I got them just because they were fountain pens and they were inexpensive (I wouldn't call the J series "cheap", for they are well-made.) They are slowly growing on me. I have to say that I think the later soft-plastic ones are by-and-large ugly, but the J and earlier have a sort of down-home modest charm that sneaks up on some of us slowly. My one rather special one is, I believe, an SJ. It is red, and I think it must be pretty unusual in that the cap and the barrel are milled from the same block of stock. The stripes match up exactly, and to top that off,when the pen is closed at one of the thread starts, the stripes are aligned. i don't remember seeing that on any other esterbrook. Is that rare?

A black Esterbrook J that I paid 19.37 for...and as soon as I unscrewed the nib, pieces of sac and dried ink poured out. :(

Does anyone know to whom I can send this pen for restoration? I'm also afraid that the J bar is rusted, and that just seems too steep a learning curve for me at the moment.

Ah, go for it! The sacs and J-bars are readily available as is the shellac. This is a great pen to learn how to restore.

you will be so proud to have done it yourself, and you won't be out the many dollars that the pros so rightly charge for their services.

Contact FPNer 777 (Tyler Dahl), he will take care of you.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• 1 month later...

Just received this one the other day ($31 off ebay).

it's a gray J w/ a 9556 (f) nib.

http://i.imgur.com/Pijqkl.jpg

I've been writing with it for the last couple of days, and I've realized a few things:

1) I love this pen--the history of it, the feel of it, and I love the screw-on cap

2) Esterbrook must have had a different definition of "fine" than I have

3) This nib writes wet

4) The patterning on this pen isn't great, but it's got character darnit!

I might keep an eye out for one of the 9xxx EF nibs, because the main reason I use this pen is to write in a pocket-sized notebook (sort of need to write pretty small). This 9556 writes well, but it definitely has a bit more feedback to it than my phileas--not a bad thing, but something I need to get used to.

Also, as for the wetness of the line, is there a way to adjust it? I think the feed may be too close to the nib--I can't fit even a thin sheet of paper between them, and there is excess ink on the top of the nib when I uncap the pen.

Doesn't seem that I can edit my post for whatever reason--but I think I figured out why the pen was so wet.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like there is a slight bend in the tines, near the tip. Looks like it might have been dropped from a short distance at some point. Anyway, the bend in the tines (more severe in one than the other) makes it so that they don't properly line up, and can't be properly spaced. I contacted the seller for a partial refund, and I'll be looking for a new nib I suppose :(

I sent mine to Danny Fudge at thewritepen.net a great guy extremely reasonable IMO ... I sent him a second one Friday to fix ...

Hope this helps. (I am and not affliated with him just a great guy who does good work)

• 2 weeks later...

My first ever Estie arrived today; a fine looking Model J finished in Foliage Green and fitted with a 1554 fine nib. It is in very good condition and,now loaded with a sympathetic Edelstein Jade, is already producing the goods.

I am content.

"In his physiognomy there were what seemed traces of many passions which his will had disciplined but which seemed to have frozen those features they had now ceased to animate."

Il Nome della Rosa, Umberto Eco

My first ever Estie arrived today; a fine looking Model J finished in Foliage Green and fitted with a 1554 fine nib. It is in very good condition and,now loaded with a sympathetic Edelstein Jade, is already producing the goods.

I am content.

Not for long. I predict that you will soon find a need to get a red on to go with your red ink and a blue one for your blue. It is a shame they never made a violet one. Then you will discover the 2668 and 9048 nibs and your life will be changed forever.

I am content.

Not for long. I predict that you will soon find a need to get a red on to go with your red ink and a blue one for your blue. It is a shame they never made a violet one. Then you will discover the 2668 and 9048 nibs and your life will be changed forever.

LOL

"In his physiognomy there were what seemed traces of many passions which his will had disciplined but which seemed to have frozen those features they had now ceased to animate."

Il Nome della Rosa, Umberto Eco

• 1 month later...

I received the first of what is going to be a number of Esties today, a pearl gray, Made in Canada Estie J with 9968 nib and inked it with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo. Very smooth writer, probably the smoothest nib I have encountered with just the right degree of wetness. Can't wait to get more Esties and try different nibs! :thumbup:

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my first Estie this past Saturday at a local antique store. It's a Transitional SJ, I believe. One gem, "Esterbrook," stamped on the clip, "Made in USA," under, "Esterbrook," on the barrel, and it measures 4.75" capped. It needs some TLC to wear-and-tear parts (new sac, new J bar), but the rest of the pen seems to be in good shape. I've dipped it, and even if I don't get it restored (I've contacted three restorers already), I'd be happy with it as a dip pen.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Life's too short to write with anything but a fountain pen!

I picked up my first Estie this past Saturday at a local antique store. It's a Transitional SJ, I believe. One gem, "Esterbrook," stamped on the clip, "Made in USA," under, "Esterbrook," on the barrel, and it measures 4.75" capped. It needs some TLC to wear-and-tear parts (new sac, new J bar), but the rest of the pen seems to be in good shape. I've dipped it, and even if I don't get it restored (I've contacted three restorers already), I'd be happy with it as a dip pen.

What color did you get?

If you hang around this forum long enough, you'll want to restore your own ... just for the fun of it.

I've got my shellac, talc and bladders just waiting for the opportunity.

No idea how to tell if a pen needs a new J bar, though.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

It's just a plain-jane-awesome black one. It's also my first vintage pen (I have a small collection of inexpensive Chinese pens, plus this Estie). For that reason, I want to be sure it's functional when the restoration process is done. Since I'm going to the show in Dallas next month, I contacted some restorers that are going to be there. The estimates have been very reasonable.

It has a 1550 nib, which I didn't think would suit me, but the more I use it, the more I like it. Even when I'm about ready to dip it again after a page and a half of writing, I like using it.

Edited to add: I was actually hunting for a Parker 51 or Vacuumatic when I found this pen. I still need some Parkers, but now I need an army of Esterbrooks!

Edited by Lisya72
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Life's too short to write with anything but a fountain pen!

Well, yesterday I received a gray Estie Deluxe, black cap and barrel jewels, bright metal cap and the smoothest 9556 nib. Time to start unloading Pelkans, their nibs don't compare to this one.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I just bought my first Esterbrook, a copper SJ with a 2556 nib. I bought the pen from a fellow FPNer. This pen appears brand new, shiny, glossy and fully functional. This is my first fine nib and it writes very well, I will probably look for a medium or larger nib in the future. I have a few observations, the pen is tiny compared to my TWSBI's, lever filling is cool, the copper color is sweet, I feel I am holding a little bit of history and will probably buy a few more.

I just last week received my 2nd Estie in the same size, color and nib. I love it. My first I bought last fall, a blue transitional J with a 9556 nib, which floats across the paper. I know the feeling you're having; isn't it great?

It's just a plain-jane-awesome black one. It's also my first vintage pen (I have a small collection of inexpensive Chinese pens, plus this Estie). For that reason, I want to be sure it's functional when the restoration process is done. Since I'm going to the show in Dallas next month, I contacted some restorers that are going to be there. The estimates have been very reasonable.

It has a 1550 nib, which I didn't think would suit me, but the more I use it, the more I like it. Even when I'm about ready to dip it again after a page and a half of writing, I like using it.

Edited to add: I was actually hunting for a Parker 51 or Vacuumatic when I found this pen. I still need some Parkers, but now I need an army of Esterbrooks!

~~~I don't have a lot of vintage fountain pens but I do have an SJ Estie and a few Parker 51's...you're going to like your Estie. The 51 is a bit different. I have two of the aerometrics, a 48' and a 49' but again, you have a nice pen with your Estie, and I probably write more with my Estie which is equipped with a 1550 nib, but that said, the Parker I write the most with (Demi) has a fine nib too. Have fun writing with vintage fountain pens, the best pens to write with=:-)...aw shucks...i think my Platinum Plaisir heard me say that...I mighta hurt his feelings=:-) He's a nice writer too and I have a medium nib in mine

Best,

Jake

Reddick Fla.

I bought my first Estie this week and it came in the mail today! It's a copper SJ that I bought restored on ebay for $43 including shipping. I figured it wasn't a terrible price given that I wouldn't have to tinker with it. I love it! It's just the right size, it's lovely to look at and so easy to fill. Much better than anything 'modern'. ;)

I purchased my first two Estie's yesterday. Ebay purchases - a red Safari and a Esterbrook #444 Dipless Fountain Well & Pen Bakelite Desk Set. Seeking to bring some focus to my collection. Now looking at a J-Series Estie, and have the feeling that there will definitely be more Estie's added to my collection. Have Noodler's Blue/Black; Pelikan Royal Blue and Monteverde Brown Marron Cafe. I am wondering which of these will work best with my Estie pens??