Top Posters In This Topic

• Mags

• Freddy

• peterg

• Ursus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

In "Ike: Countdown to D-Day", Tom Selleck, who portrays Eisenhower is shown writing with a dark blue Parker 51. If this was the case it would be the cedar blue 51 vacumatic. The makers of this film must have been trying to be as historically accurate as possible, because Ike did use a P 51 apparently, although I have no idea what colour it was.

From what I have read Eisenhower used a Parker 51 in buckskin beige. I remember that one of his 51s sold at the British auction house Bonhams in 2001 for several thousand pounds and it was buckskin beige with a coronet cap.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 00:20

'MikeForester', on 21 Mar 2013 - 08:42, said:snapback.png

The Royal Society of Literature has retired Charles Dickens' quill pen and replaced it with T.S. Eliot's fountain pen. There were short pieces about it in the Guardian and the Telegraph, but neither said what kind of pen it is. The Telegraph has a picture here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9939931/T.S.-Eliots-fountain-pen-replaces-Dickenss-quill-at-the-Royal-Society-of-Literature.html

Looks like it might be a Waterman's but the lever tab is not clear enough to be sure. And none of the "reporters" who got the press release thought it worthwhile finding out, either.

It is a Waterman 16 PSF.

"The pen was last used by TS Eliot, and is believed to have been given to the poet as a schoolboy by his mother."
"Eliot’s pen is believed to have been given to him by his mother when he went away to school and hasn’t been used since his death."
Eliot born: 1888
Eliot moved to UK: 1914 (to attend Oxford)
Waterman introduces lever-filler in 1915
Eliot's age in 1915: 27
Some thoughts on Tom's pen:
It is only possible the pen was given to him "when he went away to school," if by "school" we mean Oxford, and if by "when he went away," we mean while he was there. Furthermore, I doubt we can call a 27 year old man a "school boy."
Nonetheless, having seen his signature on many personal and professional letters, and in many inscribed books, I am pleased to know what sort of pen the Old Possum used.

Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair with his unidentified fountain pen.

Looks like a Pilot Vpen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I haven't seen any posts about current stars that use fountain pens. Anyone aware of fountain pen users that are celebrities currently?

• 3 weeks later...

Bernie Ecclestone (and Németh Lászlóné, Hungary's Minister for National Development) signing the contract extension on the Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix staying in the calendar until 2021.

I don't know what pen are they using.

http://galeria.vezess.hu/files/649/062/000/62649/62649_499248_784x523.jpg

http://f1.imgci.com/PICTURES/CMS/19800/19857.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/VPmcJtp8X5lgDPAmK.JdNA--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NoPTE4NDA7Y3I9MTtjdz0xMTk2O2R4PTEwMTA7ZHk9MTtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0xMDAwO3E9NzA7dz02NTA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/Sports/AP_Auto/201307280703253871872-p5.jpg

Eccleston & Einstein share the love of pens and fear of barbers I suspect :) Wonder if Bernie is trying to create a 'get out of jail for free' contract :lticaptd:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Was recently watching the Bourne Supremacy and noticed that early in the movie when Jason wakes in the middle of the night and ends up writing in his journal. I zoomed in and was able to pretty much identify a Mont Blanc fountain pen. I couldn't tell whether it was a 146 or 149.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie Ecclestone (and Németh Lászlóné, Hungary's Minister for National Development) signing the contract extension on the Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix staying in the calendar until 2021.

I don't know what pen are they using.

http://galeria.vezess.hu/files/649/062/000/62649/62649_499248_784x523.jpg

http://f1.imgci.com/PICTURES/CMS/19800/19857.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/VPmcJtp8X5lgDPAmK.JdNA--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NoPTE4NDA7Y3I9MTtjdz0xMTk2O2R4PTEwMTA7ZHk9MTtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0xMDAwO3E9NzA7dz02NTA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/Sports/AP_Auto/201307280703253871872-p5.jpg

Yes. Those are waterman Experts.

Yes. Those are waterman Experts.

The pens . . . . not the people !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 2 weeks later...

President Richard Nixon used a Parker 75 Keepsake. It was given to him in 1968, and he liked it so much he bought another as a spare. Can't find the reference right at the moment, but it is out there.

I remember reading somewhere that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle used a Parker Duofold to write some of his Sherlock Holmes stories.

If my irrefutable Web sources (like Wikipedia) are correct, the Duofold was introduced in 1921, after all the Sherlock Holmes stories had been published except The Case-Book.

ron

I'm curious about contemporary "celebrities" who use fountain pens. I have to imagine there are some who lurk around in forums like these getting their fountain pen fix!

I know various writes that use them, of course. The one that I always think of is Neal Stephenson, just because he writes such big books and all drafted by hand. But he doesn't seem like one who geeks out over the pens themselves...

So, if Regina Spektor or Emily Blunt is here, PM me and I'd be happy to help out :D

http://katexic.com/clippings/

Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!