#181 Randwulfr

Randwulfr

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2014 - 22:07

Just about every F. Scott Fitzgerald signature I've seen indicates he favored italic or oblique nibs (I'm still trying to sort out the differences when I see them). Here's a good example of such....

Attached Images

• FScott01.jpg

Pelikan 800 IB • Pelikan 600 M • Pelikan 600 F •

Pelikan 400 OBB • Pelikan 200 Binder 0.9mm Cursive Italic • 

Pelikan 200 Binder 1.1mm Music • Pelikan 140 OBB

#182 kulindi

kulindi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2014 - 23:35

Who would have known Farrah Fawcett used a Montblanc 146?

How do you know....????

#183 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 19:23

Penne Stilografiche, on 09 Dec 2013 - 04:56, said:snapback.png

Who would have known Farrah Fawcett used a Montblanc 146?

How do you know....????

Right! Many people get those as gifts.

#184 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 17:59

I saw this on the news today:

13247873694_134bf3ed26.jpg

13247535675_5422b7d985.jpg

Putin and others signing some legal documents regarding the annex of Crimea with what looks like 146's and desk stands. 

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#185 Tadeusz

Tadeusz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 18:11

I saw this on the news today:

13247873694_134bf3ed26.jpg

13247535675_5422b7d985.jpg

Putin and others signing some legal documents regarding the annex of Crimea with what looks like 146's and desk stands. 

Ah, Mont Blanc, annexing more lebensraum since 1906!

#186 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 18:38

The lady behind was interested in the pen too :) 

I wonder if this will feature on their advertising material. Maybe only in Russia.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#187 Albinoni

Albinoni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 23:02

QUOTE (SweetieStarr @ Apr 7 2009, 05:59 PM)
So Mark Twain used Conklins and people like Winston Churchill, the Queen, Presidents Clinton & Bush and Rick Wakeman (Yes!) use Conway Stewarts. Anyone else?

What about old Hollywood stars like Humphrey Bogart?

I think we have to keep in mind that prominent figures have often been given pens by penmakers seeking to gain exposure thereby. So while Presidents Clinton and Bush may have been presented with (modern) Conway Stewarts, it's more than a little misleading to state that they are Conway Stewart users. Nor am I sure that the presentation of CS pens to Queen Elizabeth II has led to a displacement of her long and well-documented preference for Parkers.

I read somewhere where the Queen actually used a Parker 51

#188 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:36

The Winston Churchill choice of pen keeps coming round. I have read he used Conway Stewart, Onoto and more recently his use of Montblanc gets a mention.

His favourite response for me has to be :

Lady to Winston : Sir if you was my husband I would poison your tea !!

Winston to lady : Madam if you was my wife I would drink it.....

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#189 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 15:24

The Winston Churchill choice of pen keeps coming round. I have read he used Conway Stewart, Onoto and more recently his use of Montblanc gets a mention.

Companies certainly love advertizing about Churchill having used their pens. Never the less, both Conway Stewart and Onoto closed (although other companies are now using their names; when a company has been closed for about so long that all the old employees are dead it is difficult to acclaim any kind of continuity apart from the name). MB still stands - but would it not be some kind of a joke if a PM used enemy pens?

#190 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 18:25

Companies certainly love advertizing about Churchill having used their pens. Never the less, both Conway Stewart and Onoto closed (although other companies are now using their names; when a company has been closed for about so long that all the old employees are dead it is difficult to acclaim any kind of continuity apart from the name). MB still stands - but would it not be some kind of a joke if a PM used enemy pens?

I agree with you but Bonhams seem to think he did.

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#191 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 00:55

I read somewhere where the Queen actually used a Parker 51

Yes, the Queen's personal pen (since 1959) has been a burgundy Parker 51 with a gold filled cap. Also Parker has held the royal warrant since 1962. Conway Stewart has given the Queen a few presentation pens, but I'm not sure if she actually uses any of them. She wrote a funny letter to them once. In 2007, they gave her a gold pen for her 60th wedding anniversary and she wrote back to CS stating that she would have to return the pen if it was not functional as she has no use for it if it can't write. She may be a Queen, but she seems very practical.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Premium Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, 21 Super Red, Vac Jr. Black, 51 MK1 Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 MK1 Demi Black, 51 MK1 Demi Teal, 51 MK1 Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, Vac Sub. Deb. Azure, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl.

#192 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 14:03

From memory I think HM the Q was actually looking for something plain as opposed to very decorative. There was a recent news story when she was asked to sign something and her pen refused to write, she asked Philip for his and his reply was that he hadnt brought it, the Queens response was that she had told him to do so, in years gone by that would have justified a trip to the Bloody Tower. The photographer to the Sun, a newspaper not well known for its depth of news articles and a Page 3 that should be in braille, offered his pen, to which the Queen put him firmly in his place of 'oh - its a ballpoint.'

Spelling is a lossed art

#193 KAC

KAC

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 15:45

Or I should say which pens were used by Prime Minister's .

Or perhaps "Prime Ministers"

#194 Shaughn

Shaughn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 16:40

From memory I think HM the Q was actually looking for something plain as opposed to very decorative. There was a recent news story when she was asked to sign something and her pen refused to write, she asked Philip for his and his reply was that he hadnt brought it, the Queens response was that she had told him to do so, in years gone by that would have justified a trip to the Bloody Tower. The photographer to the Sun, a newspaper not well known for its depth of news articles and a Page 3 that should be in braille, offered his pen, to which the Queen put him firmly in his place of 'oh - its a ballpoint.'

God save Her.

#195 GTOZack

GTOZack

ah that Deaf guy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 19:22

the Queen is very practical indeed, I mean she carrys one same pen with her everywhere she goes.  God bless the Queen

*edit* 

Chuck Yeager used Parker 51's  but generally used a conventional pencil in his shoulder pocket when he is in the air. However  deskside he used parker 51 in gray and silver cap 

There is lead pencil, grease / wax pencil ( the one with string wher you can zip it off to reveal tip. usually black) and a regular ballpoint. 

I've heard German fighter pilots using Pencil and wax pencils.   Theres really rare instances where pilots would bring  FP but that is not good idea because when you are above 15,000 ft ( 4500 meter) it splurts ink due to

pressure changes  and possibly freeze too if you were in non pressurized bomber and or fighter aircraft.

Edited by GTOZack, 19 May 2014 - 19:28.

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort.  B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

#196 Nicolas_Rieussec

Nicolas_Rieussec

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:07

His favourite response for me has to be :

Lady to Winston : Sir if you was my husband I would poison your tea !!

Winston to lady : Madam if you was my wife I would drink it.....

I agree that's a great quote. I like this one too:

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
-- Winston Churchill

#197 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2014 - 17:21

Beechwood, on 19 May 2014 - 16:03, said:snapback.png

Certainly my kind of queen!

#198 Koenti01

Koenti01

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 15:10

I don't know if anyone here has ever seen "Alone in the Wilderness" on PBS but the gentleman who filmed his time in Alaska in the late 1960s also kept a journal, and in one shot they show him using a Sheaffer snorkel. I don't own it so I couldn't get a screen shot.

#199 YNY

YNY

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 00:37

In a video clip on the news tonight General Martin Dempsey USA, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is shown holding what appears to be a fountain pen or rollerball. It is emerald green with a pattern on the barrel that reminds me of an Esterbrook. The overall appearance also reminded me of an Esterbrook but the color was too emerald green in my opinion and I think he would use something more up to date. Maybe a Waterford Kilbarry Green Guilloche fountain pen or rollerball? Does anyone know what pen it might be?

Posted Image

#200 Freddy

Freddy

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 23:01

I don't know if anyone here has ever seen "Alone in the Wilderness" on PBS but the gentleman who filmed his time in Alaska in the late 1960s also kept a journal, and in one shot they show him using a Sheaffer snorkel. I don't own it so I couldn't get a screen shot.

I watched it....and....

From Penspotting in Chatter... .Page 29 # 427
Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:59 PM 

Seen on PBS...Alone in the Wilderness...the story of Dick Proenneke, who built 
his own cabin and lived in the Alaskan wilderness for almost 30 years. I spotted 
him writing in his journal... using...a Sheaffer WD posted pen...which could have been a snorkel
or touch-down. 

Fred 

Fred

#201 Ifni

Ifni

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:28

Anybody spot any famous folks using an Aurora 88?

#202 dior523

dior523

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 19:52

Hemingway ususally using Montegrappa I think?

#203 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2014 - 13:15

Ace Greg Papy Boyington had an estie and a sheaffer valiant.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#204 Morbus Curiositas

Morbus Curiositas

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2014 - 18:26

I am a reading addict and a history lover...

Modern writers use Microsoft Word.... Bastards

I love French Classical literature...

Balzac, Flaubert, Zola Maupassant
Denis Diderot and Jean Jacques Rousseau (sorry no novelists)...

But they died before the first (mass produced) appeared....

Too Bad :-(

Does someone know if Jean Paul Sartre or Albert Camus used Fountain Pens....

Any other famour writers of literature (not the Danielle Steel kind of Rubbish!!)

I must get a Conway Stewart or an Onoto... Good old Winston, Politician, historian and writer used one...

I am interested too in famous people/politicians.... Famous not notorious... so Forget Stalin, Mao or Sadddam Hussein.... But more like Mandela, Woodrow Wilson, Ghandi or the Dutch royals used etc etc

#205 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2014 - 18:09

I am interested too in famous people/politicians.... Famous not notorious... so Forget Stalin, Mao or Sadddam Hussein....

Well, some people are difficult to forget... but I sure will try!