Famous people's pens

SweetieStarr

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/Moruya/1699_zps3fa1364c.jpg

Anyone have any idea who this little fellow is? ;)

It looks like he has some type of slip-cap ED pen or desk pen.

Charles Chaplin to me.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mags

• Freddy

• peterg

• Ursus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charles Chaplin to me.

Finally someone guessed right. It's funny how no one seems to recognize him out of makeup.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

Charles Chaplin to me.

Finally someone guessed right. It's funny how no one seems to recognize him out of makeup.

Wow,I got it right!

• 1 month later...

So Mark Twain used Conklins and people like Winston Churchill, the Queen, Presidents Clinton & Bush and Rick Wakeman (Yes!) use Conway Stewarts. Anyone else?

What about old Hollywood stars like Humphrey Bogart?

Onoto claim that Churchill used their pens in both world wars: see their online ad for The Sir Winston Churchill Pinstripe

Charles Chaplin to me.

I knew it was CC, but didn't want to give it away. My using the word 'tramp' above was not meant as an insult but as a reference to one of his nicknames: the little tramp.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Charles Chaplin to me.

I knew it was CC, but didn't want to give it away. My using the word 'tramp' above was not meant as an insult but as a reference to one of his nicknames: the little tramp.

I knew that. I was just waiting to see how long it took someone to catch on. I like messing with people, it's cheap entertainment.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

• 3 weeks later...

Someone above, I believe WhiskeyMan, asked about F. Scott Fitzgerald, but I never saw anyone provide commentary. Maybe I missed it, but anyone??

And Hemingway - all I saw was pencils mentioned in the thread... no fountain pen?

My mind is racing through literary folks from "Midnight in Paris." :happyberet:

Someone above, I believe WhiskeyMan, asked about F. Scott Fitzgerald, but I never saw anyone provide commentary. Maybe I missed it, but anyone??

And Hemingway - all I saw was pencils mentioned in the thread... no fountain pen?

My mind is racing through literary folks from "Midnight in Paris." :happyberet:

I have actually had the privilege of handling Hemmingways' Montegrappa fountain pen. The basic pen in dark plastic. At the same time I handled Clara Petucci's gold plated model.

I know of the following:-

Ted Hughes - Waterman Hemisphere

Sylvia Plath - Schaeffer (varoius models after she lost her favourite Imperial)

Adolf Hitler - Simplo

Hermann Hesse - dip pen and later a typewriter (?)

George Borrow - pencil

Anne Frank - a no name German pen NOT A MB? Her family were not that affluent. She talks of her pen in some detail and would undoubtedly have mentioned the name if it was a MB!

King George v - Wyvern Redwing

King George vi - Wyvern 101 (pen & pencil set in various skin finishes)

That's about all I know..

Anne Frank wrote about losing that pen - thought it went into the fire as when she dumped some newspaper and moldy beans in, the flames shot up. Her father said it was the "celluloid" burning as it was highly flammable. They found the clip in the ashes the next day but did not find the gold nib. The pen was celluloid with a gold nib that arrived in a red leather case from her Grandmother in Aachen (around 1938). I live 500 meters away on the same street as the Anna Frank Huis and would love to know what she wrote with!

JKF and Mikhail Gorbachev used a Montblanc 149.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

JKF and Mikhail Gorbachev used a Montblanc 149.

Good picks for them....love the 149's!

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard or read that JFK used a Sheaffer (Snorkel??)

Maybe for personal writing while the 149 was used for State occasions

Are there any extant pictures one way or the other

I recall seeing a TV news clip showing Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger using a Cross Hatch Sterling Silver Parker 75 to sign a controversial bill into law.

While I have several vintage pens, the only pen I have personally had for 30 years or more is a Sheaffer Targa. I have had that little Sheaffer for 37 years. It has needed no repairs and continues to work fine. While it will take carts, I have a converter in it and that is the converter that came with it.

I have several Parker 51s that work fine and do not appear to have been repaired, but I cannot vouch for certain that they have not been.

Nabokov's father used a Swan. It would be interesting to find this ad.

From Speak, Memory:

There, with a certain old-world naïveté, my father had mentioned making a present of his Swan fountain pen to Admiral Jellicoe, who at table had borrowed it to autograph a menu card and had praised its fluent and suave nib. This unfortunate disclosure of the pen’s make was promptly echoed in the London papers by a Mabie, Todd and Co., Ltd., advertisement, which quoted a translation of the passage and depicted my father handing the firm’s product to the Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Fleet, under the chaotic sky of a sea battle.

I seen Judge Judy using a sterling Silver Montblanc 144 or 146 whenever I watch the show.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

I know of the following:-

Ted Hughes - Waterman Hemisphere

Sylvia Plath - Schaeffer (varoius models after she lost her favourite Imperial)

Adolf Hitler - Simplo

Hermann Hesse - dip pen and later a typewriter (?)

George Borrow - pencil

Anne Frank - a no name German pen NOT A MB? Her family were not that affluent. She talks of her pen in some detail and would undoubtedly have mentioned the name if it was a MB!

King George v - Wyvern Redwing

King George vi - Wyvern 101 (pen & pencil set in various skin finishes)

That's about all I know..

I read that Hitler wrote with a MB, the author of the article could have been wrong.

The education of a man is never complete until he dies. Gen. Robert E. Lee

I don't pretend to know what Adolf Hitler wrote with at one or another time of his life. But I do know there isn't any substantial contradiction between saying he wrote with a Simplo or that he wrote with a Montblanc. The company we now know as Montblanc began by manufacturing Simplo pens.