Famous people's pens

SweetieStarr

Pardon my off-topic, but there is anyone who knows what kind/brand/type of pencils did Hemingway employ as writing instruments? (he stated that in a good working day he consumed/used something like seven No 2 pencils...)

:notworthy1:

Greetings from Italy to you all !!

;)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mags

• Freddy

• peterg

• Ursus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pardon my off-topic, but there is anyone who knows what kind/brand/type of pencils did Hemingway employ as writing instruments? (he stated that in a good working day he consumed/used something like seven No 2 pencils...)

Sounds like he had a real problem with chewing on things ...

ron

Shemp..of Three Stooges fame was a fountain user.... .Anyone recognize his pen..

*Starting at 0:30..*

Fred

In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed..

*Edited*

Edited by Freddy

ron

Hmmmm...well joking aside, if he had any dedication-to-quality issues the pencils would have to be Faber-Castells, no?

George F. Will - essayist and baseball aficionado. Montblanc on the cover of his 1986 book The Morning After

I'm not enough into the Montblanc to have the particular model in mind. I've long ago lost the book - either loaned out or still in a box after one of my moves.

(image lifted from Amazon)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AnYpokB-L._SL500_.jpg

I do know that George W. Bush also used a Cross Townsend rollerball as his official bill signing pen.

Really? I've always thought of him as more of a Crayola user.

Edited by BedfordshireClanger

ron

Hmmmm...well joking aside, if he had any dedication-to-quality issues the pencils would have to be Faber-Castells, no?

A while back I was reading 'Journal of a Novel, The East of Eden Letters'. In there John Steinbeck writes a letter to his friend and editor Pascal Covici as warm up to his writing.

In these series of 'letter's' he mentions his writing procedures and his choice of pencils several times. He also states that he did use many pencils a day but not in the way suggested above. He would sharpen a batch in one go and then write with one and as it went blunt just switch to the next and so on. He did this until he finished the sharpened pencils in his pencil tray and then would go and sharpen them all again with an electric sharpener.

The choice of pencils seems to have been something that he narrowed down upon, but was always in search for the best pencil.

The three he mentions are the Black Calculator [pg 9], Mongol 2 3/8 F [pg 9], Mongol 480 #2 3/8 F round [pg 131] and the Eberhard Faber Blackwing [pg 34]. I suspect that the Mongol 2 3/8 F and the Mongol 480 #2 3/8 F round are the same pencil, but for correctness I mention them as referenced in the book.

John Steinbeck also mentioned that he preferred round pencils due to the callous on his finger giving him trouble hence the need for round pencils [pg47].

There's a lot on the web if you do a search, but just wanted to share the references from this book.

Hope that helps.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/Moruya/1699_zps3fa1364c.jpg

Anyone have any idea who this little fellow is? ;)

It looks like he has some type of slip-cap ED pen or desk pen.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

Fine little chap holding writin' instrument..

Fred

Shh! Annunciator...'All the world's a stage..And all men and women merely players'...

A documentary on Queen Elizabeth currently being aired on FOXTEL shows the queen sitting at her desk using a Parker 51 with a gold cap (posted).

There was a Documentary that aired in 2007 in the US about the Queen's State Visit for the 400th anniversary of the founding at Jamestown and there is a clip that has a nice close up of her using her burgundy Parker 51 with the gold filled cap at about 4:09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxfDjm4-2Uo&feature=plcp

You have quick eyes. I saw a pen but that's about it.

You have quick eyes. I saw a pen but that's about it.

Thanks :blush:. If you look at around 4:02-03, you can see the butt of the burgundy barrel in her hand.

I think there are a few pictures of her using it floating online and on FPN.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I have held the Montegrappa fountain pen that Ernest Hemmingway used when he penned "A Farewell to Arms".

Если бы они все могли встать и прийти на выставку высоких искусств в России 13-19 декабря 2012 г

то наверняка их выбор пал на нечто-другое:post-92512-0-80775300-1351543504.jpgpost-92512-0-05149200-1351543522.jpg

Dont know who he is but I would not be in a rush to sit on his knee !!

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Dont know who he is but I would not be in a rush to sit on his knee !!

He looks like a bit of a tramp to me. The other interesting thing is that he is smiling. People didn't do that as much in pictures back then.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I use a Parker 45. Still do.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !