Pope Julius II 4810 LE

Joehek

I have been drooling over the Pope Julius II ever since reading Goodguy's review earlier this year the problem was there was no way I could afford the retail price of this pen. Fortunately I found a private party selling the pen and with some guidance from Yatchsilverswan I was able to secure the pen. The first thing you notice about this pen is the presentation box, mine came wrapped in a red velvet sachet. The box has a high laquer finish and is very attractive but for the price of this pen I was actually expecting more.

When you open the box and expose the Pope Julius II you understand why people are attracted to this pen. It is stunning, beautiful, and well crafted. This is defintly a pen you can stare at for hours and enjoy all it has to offer. The cap is amazing! It has the Montblanc white star on the dome and gold garnishing around it. The pen is very heavy even when uncapped. I have never capped this pen, almost afraid to because I don't want to scratch anything and I prefer to write uncapped anyway. Uncapped the pen is manageable and well balanced.

The Pope Julius uses the standard Montblanc piston filler and it performs magnificantly, very smooth. Although I have not filled it with ink yet I have perfomed a water test and it does seem to hold a large amount of ink. The nib on this pen is a F, I really love Montblanc pens but I have noticed that I cannot write with a M nib, they are much broader than some of my Italian M's. It writes very smooth lines and does not miss a beat. Has a little flex, I would prefer more but it is much better than having to deal with a M nib.

Now lets talk value. Do I regret paying as much as I did for this pen? Not in the least! This pen is amazing. I had a few business friends over the other day and they all were commenting about the pen. It has become a show piece in my household and something that will be cherrished for a long time. Now if I can just get myself to ink it I might enjoy it a bit more. :mellow: In all seriousness, if anyone were on the fence trying to decide if this pen would be worth the purchase price I would tell them to purchase it, you will never regret the purchase!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joehek

• goodguy

• AKAGodSent

• mava

Hey Joe -

Congrats!

Those are the best photos of the Pope Julius I have ever seen - razor sharp and creatively framed. I'm hiring you to do the photography for my next pen review.

Now ink up that handsome beauty and find some words worthy of the instrument.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Thanks for the kind remarks Ray, I just got a new camera and had to try it out on the Pope. Thanks again for your guidance on this one I am sooooo happy to have it! Anytime you need some photos let me know I still owe you a beer or two the next time you are out this way!

I agree that these are gorgeous photos of a gorgeous pen. Congrats on nailing down a grail pen.

Now...ink it!!

Thanks PenTie, I am going to give her a run this weekend! Now I just need to figure out what would be the best ink for a Pope? Hmmm... Anyone have any suggestions?

The Pope Julius II is quite possibly the most beautiful FP I have seen yet. Thank you for sharing with us.

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." Final words of General 'Stonewall' Jackson (d.1863) when killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Thanks Navy, it is the most beautiful pen I own and probably will own unless MAVA (Mac) sells me some of his Danitrio's! :eureka:

Amazing pen, great pictures! What kind of camera are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Hi AKA, I just purchased a Nikon D80. I upgraded from my D70 that I had for years. These were all shot outdoors with white balance set to cloudy and at F13-F18 stop. It was taken with a 18-200 VR lens, love that lens!

Here is another I really liked!

Edited by Joehek

Thanks, very nice :). I have a Rebel that I share with my parents, but I hardly ever get a chance to use it nowadays since I'm away from home. In either case, love the pictures!

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Hi Joe

wow- that is simply outstanding. What an incredible piece of art, let alone FP.

You are very lucky to own such a piece of a life time.

Many Congratulations and thanks for sharing this. :thumbup:

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

Congratulation on your new pen! The 4810 Pope's look is starting to grow on me a little. I blame it on your awesome photography!

Enjoy that 18-200mm VR, it's one of the most versatile lenses around. (I'm a Nikon fan...)

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Thanks All really appreciate the comments. PRAG, you really have to see the Pope in person to appreciate the detail that goes into this pen. I took my time on the photos because I felt the same way as you did about the pen when I originally saw some of the photos on the web. I wanted my photos to reflect everything I felt about this pen.

Congrats for the amazing pen.

I totaly agree with you about the M nib,my Pope has a M nib and it is indeed too broad for me.

This really make very little importanse as I rarely use it. This pen for me is also more of a show piece. It is way to flashy for me to use it for everyday.

Respect to all

LOL, nice Jips... Are you calling the Pope gay? You are in big trouble! :o You stick to your M200's and I'll take this anyday

Goodguy, totally agree about it being a show piece, I finally got enough courage to ink it today and I was very impressed with the writing characteristics. How does yours perform now that you have had it a while?

Edited by Joehek

I'm happy you inked it. For my taste, it would be too flashy to use in public, but if I owned one of those, I would definitely use it at home, at least. Enjoy!

Hi R.ticle One,

Thanks for your comment. I would not feel comfortable taking this to a meeting or the grocery store. To me it is more like a work of art that you can admire and if it has functionality even better. I have already written a few notes to some friends today and find the flow to be exceptional, the nib is very smooth with just the right flex for me.