Review: Diamine Jet Black

biffybeans

Click here for full review with pictures

I'm the kind of person that really, really, likes a very saturated black ink. Since finding Herbin's Perle Noire, I've not tried anything that's come close.

Diamine's Jet Black is not heavily saturated - you can see shading...I don't want to see shading when I'm using a black ink.

While the flow on this ink was decent - but maybe a little dry, I did notice that if I set the pen down for even a short period of time, it would start hard. The converter in the pen was properly primed, and I had never had that problem with that pen with any other ink. The pen was thoroughly flushed and dried before inking.

I have to pass on this one.

From the Diamine Website:

30ml Diamine Fountain Ink:

"Brand New Design PVC Bottle, Light weight and with an affordable price makes the full range of 60 colors very collectable, ideal for students or beginners still searching for their personal color of choice."

Jet Black is one of Diamine's Old English Fountain Pen Inks "Suitable for all brand of Fountain Pen, 30 Colors available"

Buy Diamine Inks in the UK at The Writing Desk or directly from Diamine and in the US from The Pear Tree Pen Company Ink is sold in 80ml glass bottles, 30 ml plastic bottles, and selected colors are available in cartridge form.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biffybeans

• HyperCamper

• Peter from Sherwood Park

• Bipedallou

Nice review, Stephanie! Thanks! :)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

• 1 month later...

I'm the kind of person that really, really, likes a very saturated black ink. Since finding Herbin's Perle Noire, I've not tried anything that's come close.

Diamine's Jet Black is not heavily saturated - you can see shading...I don't want to see shading when I'm using a black ink.

While the flow on this ink was decent - but maybe a little dry, I did notice that if I set the pen down for even a short period of time, it would start hard. The converter in the pen was properly primed, and I had never had that problem with that pen with any other ink. The pen was thoroughly flushed and dried before inking.

"Brand New Design PVC Bottle, Light weight and with an affordable price makes the full range of 60 colors very collectable, ideal for students or beginners still searching for their personal color of choice."

Jet Black is one of Diamine's Old English Fountain Pen Inks "Suitable for all brand of Fountain Pen, 30 Colors available"

Buy Diamine Inks in the UK at The Writing Desk or directly from Diamine and in the US from The Pear Tree Pen Company Ink is sold in 80ml glass bottles, 30 ml plastic bottles, and selected colors are available in cartridge form.

Thank you for your insights on this ink. I was giving it a great deal of consideration as I am not prone to explore the vast variety of colors, preferring to stick with black and blue. I am currently using Cross's Black (which I know is actually Pelikan's). But I am awaiting my Pelikan Souveran M400 with a fine nib, and so I thought I'd like to try a new, perhaps better, black ink in it. I will look into the Herbin's Perle Noire now with more interest.

Again thank you for the review of Diamine's Jet Black.

Lou

A little disappointing as I'm quite fond of many of Diamine's inks.

I,too,will be looking at J.Herbin's Perle Noire more closely along with Noodler's Borealis as the black inks I will require need to be well saturated.

Thanks for this review,Stephanie.

I have to say that I just bought this ink, and I rather like the shading of it. I'm not the biggest fan of black ink, so to me the gray properties are appealing...

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• 3 weeks later...

I received a bottle of this in trade recently. I found the ink to be quite thick and dry. I have never had the hard start (or continuation once it DID start) that I have had with this ink. I will be using it exclusively for my heavier-flowing pens and for mixing with thinner inks.

Now if I can just get my hands on a bottle of Aurora Black or Borealis....

Thanks, Biffy!

Michael

• 4 months later...

FYI, Onyx Black is the black you want if you're hoping to get a true "black" with no shading from Diamine. If, on the other hand, you like the grey shading, it's more pronounced in the Quartz black. Jet Black is somewhere between the two.

Check Diamine's Onyx. It looks to me to be as black as Perle Noire. I like the Perle Noire, but it seems to really want to push through even the best of papers.

A little disappointing as I'm quite fond of many of Diamine's inks.

I,too,will be looking at J.Herbin's Perle Noire more closely along with Noodler's Borealis as the black inks I will require need to be well saturated.

Thanks for this review,Stephanie.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Thick and dry? Interesting... If you received it in a trade, is there a chance it could have been contaminated in any way?

I received a bottle of this in trade recently. I found the ink to be quite thick and dry. I have never had the hard start (or continuation once it DID start) that I have had with this ink. I will be using it exclusively for my heavier-flowing pens and for mixing with thinner inks.

Now if I can just get my hands on a bottle of Aurora Black or Borealis....

Thanks, Biffy!

Michael

• 7 months later...

I have been having problems with this ink too. This is definitely the hardest starting ink that I've come across. YT

Currently Inked;

MB 149 w/ MB Toffee Brown

Pilot Custom 823 w/ Perle Noire

Noodler's Aerometric w/ Noodler's X-Feather