The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Moon Landing 50Th Anniversary – Six Pen Desktop Box Sold

Price - $40.00

Time Left - 18 Days, 10 Hours

Please sign in to contact advertiser directly

Fifty years ago, I was enjoying my very first professional job, working for The Boeing Company, designing the Control System for the Saturn V Moon Rocket. It was exciting work, with the whole world watching to see if we could pull off this never before accomplished feat. Thousands of people across the country were working on every aspect of the program, trying to meet Jack Kennedy’s challenge to land men on the Moon and return them safely to Earth before the end of the decade.

We did it, landing Apollo 11 on July 20, 1969, with over five months to spare, then did it again five more times in the next 41 months. We also launched two successful missions, Apollo 8 and 10, to the Moon that were not intended to land, plus the ill-fated Apollo 13 that did not land.  Half a century later, no human has set foot on the Moon since Apollo 17 lifted off on December 17, 1972. If you wonder why not, you may consider one factor: the cost of the Apollo program was about $25 billion.

Here in Huntsville, Alabama, where the Saturn V Moon Rocket was designed, a series of celebrations are planned of this, the 50th anniversary of that first landing.  In addition to participating in some of those events, I was inspired to commemorate the landings in a series of themed pen boxes. This is the first of that series.

This Moon Landing box is small, measuring just 9 inches by 6 inches by 1 1/2 inches, but inside it has room for six pens, each up to 6 1/2 inches long, plus a side compartment for miscellaneous items, such as ink cartridges, paper clips, etc.

The exterior features dramatic black/silver/gold paper that evokes a vision of the universe. Inside the lid, an image of Astronaut Buzz Aldrin, the Apollo Experiment Package, and Eagle, the Lunar Module, really sums up the visit of Armstrong and Aldrin, who spent only 2.5 hours out on the lunar surface. Holding the pens are six soft felt-lined cradles. The pens touch only that felt, nothing else. The area around and beneath the cradles is lined with black felt to carry out the space theme.

The Moon Landing 50th Anniversary – First in a Series six pen box is priced at SOLD.  If you are interested, please email me at BamaPen@jehubbard.com and be sure to include your location or ZIP Code for an accurate mailing cost quote.

I take payment by PayPal or if you prefer to pay with a card just let me know and I can email an invoice payable by that method.

I ship by USPS Priority Mail in the USA or by USPS International First Class Package outside the USA.

Further item information (esp. Pens)

• Brand and Model No, not a pen, N/A
  • LE and/or Serial Number Info Not a pen, N/A
  • Nib Size Not a fountain pen
  • Restoration status Not Applicable - Not a pen

Shipping & Handling

• Condition Not Applicable - Not a pen
  • Payment PayPal
  • Shipping From USA - Alabama
  • Shipping To World

General rules and conditions

• Conditions & Rules Yes
There are no public questions for this advert.

Advertiser Info