FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Eclipse fountain pen with the famous Boots script, sold by Boots Chemists in the UK. Made in USA. It's in fantastic condition with wavy-line chasing (like a Conklin) with "ECLIPSE", "Boots", "SELF-FILLER SAFETY PEN", and with "SAFETY CAP" on the cap. It has a flexible EF nib for very expressive writing. The thumb filler is unique and very robust construction. I've installed a fresh sac and tested with water, and I'm sorely tempted to fill it with ink because I never filled the pen since I bought it in 2009.
Price includes shipping anywhere served by the USPS. More elsewhere. First PM that reads "I'll take the Boots Eclipse" with your email address and shipping address holds it pending prompt payment of Square invoice emailed to you. Questions welcome but do not hold pen.
This fine high-quality pen was perviously owned by the eminent collector, the late John Roede of Philadelphia. He wrote the following to me:
The things I know about it include: It was made in the US.
Boots is/was the biggest drug chain in the UK, and sold pens made by any manufacturer they felt was cheap enough. They began offering fountain pens from the earliest days.
The patent for this pen was issued to Robert Hamilton, and he assigned it 50% to a John Lein of New York City.
Robert Hamilton was an officer of Standard & Vulcanite Pen company at 734 or 754 Lexington in Brooklyn. Crocker Pen, operated at 805 Lexington, and in 1917 Seth Crocker bought S&V (including the patent with 5 years remaining), changing its name to Chilton. By 1920, the entire plant was moved to Massachusets.
The founder and long-term President of Eclipse, Marx Finstone, originally lived in Brooklyn, and purchased his earliest pens (starting in 1907) from existing manufacturers.
A British pen collector took an identical Boots Eclipse to the British Parker pen for evaluation, and they offered to buy it from him. He decided to keep it.
Finstone purchased thumb filler pens (and probably eyedroppers as well) from Standard & Vulcanite. His first wife was from England, and I think he was able to secure a contract from the Boots drug stores to supply a large quantity of thumb fillers, thru his wife's relatives.
The reason there were no thumb filler Eclipse pens in the US, is that Finstone was super cheap, and felt he could not move the higher priced self fillers.
What a great history! This is a very fine pen to complete an American or British (or anywhere) collection!
Further item information (esp. Pens)
- Brand and Model Added brand(s) and model(s)
- LE and/or Serial Number Info No LE, pen(s) not numbered
- Nib Size F (Fine)
- Restoration status Restored - Work carried out by non-professional
Shipping & Handling
- Condition Used
- Payment Visa/Mastercard/etc.
- Shipping From USA - Pennsylvania
- Shipping To World
General rules and conditions
- Conditions & Rules Yes